Caribou Gear Tarp

Unit 18 Colorado 4th Rifle Season

Thanks for the tips!
Caveat, I haven’t been there for a few years except to pinch some camp wood off the ubiquitous slash piles, but from memory, It’s not, but it’s still busy. It’s close to the front range and OTC/easy to draw.

OP - By 4th season in a ‘normal’ year, you are unlikely to get to the gate on Elk Mt without a snowmobile. You may even have a hard time getting to the Elk/Grouse fork. And if you get there, the elk and deer will most likely already be down.

Honestly, ever since they put up the ‘official’ signage down on The highway 5-6 years ago, the traffic has gotten noticeably heavier.

All that said - 18 is a HUGE unit and there are a lot of elk in it. Several of the other guys have given great advice - Be mobile, don’t ignore hellholes closer to the road (and there are plenty of those), and developing plans A-X Will all help. And, with a cabin in the general area you have a great way to do all of those things!
Thanks for the advice! Really appreciate it!

stay lower than Elk mountain, bring some snow chains because those dirt roads will turn into nasty mud. Save this number, this guys are the only one mechanic shop in the area that will pick you up from those back roads if you get stuck and will fix your vehicle during the weekend and night time so you can hunt the following day: (970) 724-9536.
Done! Thank!

Hunting 4th Rifle in unit 18 in Colorado. I already know that it gets hammered, but am looking for any advice that you all may have. I am thinking about hunting around Grouse and Elk mountain, but any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.
i have third rifle mule deer tag in the zone, just curious if you have any tips from your experience

Drew a tag before the draw?
i guess im getting ahead of myself, but off the amount of tags given pretty sure the chances are very good. Also not trying to step on anyones toes, this is my first western hunt just trying to get some basic info that may help me not make rookie mistakes

I like to think of this forum as an old bar/saloon that all of us gather in due to our shared interests. Treat it as such… you wouldn’t barge through the doors, pull up a chair, pop a squat, and start asking for info without introducing yourself first, would you?

i guess im getting ahead of myself, but off the amount of tags given pretty sure the chances are very good. Also not trying to step on anyones toes, this is my first western hunt just trying to get some basic info that may help me not make rookie mistakes
Its almost a given that you will make rookie mistakes hunting out west is totally different than the east .embrace the learning curve this site is a treasure chest full of great info and lots here are willing to help but to let you know we all keep the places we go hidden . I only showed a guy I hunt with the best place I know for elk after we hunted together many times and got to know each other well

I like to think of this forum as an old bar/saloon that all of us gather in due to our shared interests. Treat it as such… you wouldn’t barge through the doors, pull up a chair, pop a squat, and start asking for info without introducing yourself first, would you?
I would.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back