Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Ultralight Cordage Reccomendations

KayakMacGyver

Every year I lug around 100' of 550 paracord from walmart in my pack. 50' is used for hanging food and the other 50' is kept in my kill bag for hanging meat, etc.

It's heavy and bulky. I know this, but still punish myself out of convenience.

This year I'm changing. There are so many options for cordage. Please school me and tell me what I should buy to replace the Wal Mart 550.

Check out the Lawson Ironwire and bearline.

That looks like really good stuff. Unfortunately they seem to be sold out of most of that line. They do have 2.3mm bear line. Will that be too thin? Not worried about strength, but cutting myself with it. Thoughts?

That looks like really good stuff. Unfortunately they seem to be sold out of most of that line. They do have 2.3mm bear line. Will that be too thin? Not worried about strength, but cutting myself with it. Thoughts?
Lawson is pretty responsive to emails inquiring about when they’ll do their next manufacturing run. I use that bear line for my food hangs and it glides over branches very well.

Lawson is pretty responsive to emails inquiring about when they’ll do their next manufacturing run. I use that bear line for my food hangs and it glides over branches very well.

I went ahead and bought 100' of the 2.3mm stuff.
I'll find a use for it if it doesn't work for my main intention. Had never heard of it, but did some quick searching after the suggestion and everyone seems to love it.

Really appreciate the feedback

The lawson stuff is nice, but after using it for 1 season went back to 550 cord. The lawson and other narrower diameter stuff seemed to become a tangled ball way to easy imo. And you are only saving 3.2oz with the lawson from 550 cord.

Hope it works out for you though.

New England dynaglide. 1.8mm, .5lb/200ft, rated for 1000lb

I use it every day for work but always have a hank for work. I have pulled over trees with it in a pinch. Preventing the smaller diameter rope from getting tangled is an art but this stuff does better than anything else in the tree industry.

This seems like more of a rokslide cut the handle off your toothbrush conversation, dam its paracord want to cut weight take less...
Ha! Kinda true. But that Lawson stuff sure doesn’t get stuck in a tree easily.

But seriously. I can’t believe you guys all take the weight penalty of carrying toilet paper into the backcountry with you.

I don’t use it much bare handed but it’s not like fishing line or anything. it’s wicked strong. The bear line is good.

Every year I lug around 100' of 550 paracord from walmart in my pack. 50' is used for hanging food and the other 50' is kept in my kill bag for hanging meat, etc.

It's heavy and bulky. I know this, but still punish myself out of convenience.

This year I'm changing. There are so many options for cordage. Please school me and tell me what I should buy to replace the Wal Mart 550.

I take 550 paracord and the 3mm 425 paracord, they each have uses.

Ha! Kinda true. But that Lawson stuff sure doesn’t get stuck in a tree easily.

But seriously. I can’t believe you guys all take the weight penalty of carrying toilet paper into the backcountry with you.
I carry 550 paracord, but do the dog butt scoot instead of toilet paper because I’m sooooo core AF.

1.7mm zing It and I like Dutch hardware.
Zing it gets tangled and knotted real bad and breaks over time. Dynaglide is made for the same reason but is rated for more weight. Check it out if you ever need to replace.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back