Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Typical sheep hunt

Hey ToughB, We on for Poker next month when I visit your State to wack a 2 point ? I'll be hunting with Browtine, and no, you can't know were we're going or come with us, we need "ALONE TIME" :D

Hell, I might bring Flip Flops for the Pictures :D

Im sure I have a pretty good idea where you guys will be humping.....i mean hunting! :) I'll be in a different unit trying to connect on a big one! Let me know when you are coming down so I can make sure I will be available to take your money from you! Either by beating you in poker....or just by plain on beating you! You decide! :)

The flip flop guy compared himself the what he called the local, who walked for 9 days and didn't see a sheep in the same unit the year before. One guy got one, one didn't.

I wonder if he went hiking some more with his California buddies who showed up later that day? Were they to hunt also, so the flip flop guy would still get to go hiking more to help his buddy get a sheep? That would make his choice to shoot so quick make more sense to me, if it were true.

You think that sheep makes P&Y? Its got a nice big curl on that one side that's not broken. Its a cool looking sheep he got!

Tom said:
The flip flop guy compared himself the what he called the local, who walked for 9 days and didn't see a sheep in the same unit the year before. One guy got one, one didn't.

I wonder if he went hiking some more with his California buddies who showed up later that day? Were they to hunt also, so the flip flop guy would still get to go hiking more to help his buddy get a sheep? That would make his choice to shoot so quick make more sense to me, if it were true.

You think that sheep makes P&Y? Its got a nice big curl on that one side that's not broken. Its a cool looking sheep he got!

Just exactly what I was going to say...... :confused: Uhhhh.... maybe...:confused:

Tom, what did you say?;)

I guess I'm a romantic....

Just the words "sheep hunting" evokes thoughts of high, rugged mountains, grand vista's that few will ever see, and long difficult stalks over rough terrain...and mostly, sheep hunting evokes thoughts of work. Lots of work. Work just getting to where the sheep might be. Work getting into position for a shot, and even more work carrying a ram off those high, rugged, difficult mountains. Whether we want to admit it or not, hunters who take mountain animals enjoy (often unspoken) status amongst hunters. They are the ones fit and tough enough to endure the rigors that hunting mountain sheep demands.

Yes, mountain animals like sheep do occassionally frequent easier country where they become vulnerable to the Johnny Flip-Flops of the world. Yes, Johnny Flip-Flops killed a ram but he did not go sheep hunting. He did not earn that dink ram, and by admitting the circumstances of his success (on the internet of all places) he helped cheapen the value of rams that were earned.

I guess I could be more sympathetic if he hadn't gone out of his way to dress the part of a sheep hunter for the pics, and kudo's to him for having the presence of mind to drag the ram off the road in order to complete the illusion.

TB earned his ram
Moosie earned his ram
T-Bone's on track to earn a ram
Johnny Flip-Flops killed a sheep....baaaaaa

I could second that Erik. Though I haven't been yet, if/when I do go that is the sheep hunt I want. Lots of hard work and great BIG country. Reading some of the sheep hunting stories in Warren Page's "One Man's Wilderness" has really gotten those juices flowing. Someday...

'Course all of that could change if I draw a Missouri Breaks tag in MT! ;)

Geese Jose, I said he got a sheep and the other guy he met standing over his sheep didn't get one for 9 days. The guy who walked all over the place the year before said he didn't even see a sheep for 9 days. He saw the one the flip flop guy shot though, eh?

I hope the flip flop hunter got to hunt more with his buddies from CA when they got there.

BuzzH,

I kill'em where I find'em. If it happens to be near a road and easy so be it. if it happens to be in an area a man like yourself could never get one out of, so be it. See I just hunt. Sometimes you find'em much quicker/sooner than you think, and some times you don't. I don't make it a game that has to be difficult, cuz if you hunt hard, and hunt a lot then it doesn't have to be difficult. But if you don't understand that, I guess it would be a waste of time to explain it you.

Erik in AK said:
I guess I'm a romantic....

Just the words "sheep hunting" evokes thoughts of high, rugged mountains, grand vista's that few will ever see, and long difficult stalks over rough terrain...and mostly, sheep hunting evokes thoughts of work. Lots of work. Work just getting to where the sheep might be. Work getting into position for a shot, and even more work carrying a ram off those high, rugged, difficult mountains. Whether we want to admit it or not, hunters who take mountain animals enjoy (often unspoken) status amongst hunters. They are the ones fit and tough enough to endure the rigors that hunting mountain sheep demands.

TB earned his ram
Moosie earned his ram
T-Bone's on track to earn a ram
Johnny Flip-Flops killed a sheep....baaaaaa

While I don't condone road hunting, the idea that trophy sheep can only come from above 10,000 feet after a 15 mile hike gaining elevation the entire way is dumb. There are few on this board that would pass up a chance to chase trophy rams in the Missouri River Breaks, Which does not require any of the above.

You purist should be glad that there are some people who don't, won't or can't get back to where you like to hunt. Limits most of your conpetition. So the guy killed a sheep near the road, he is the one who won't have the memories of the work and reward of a trophy ram earned the hard way.

Why do any of you care how this guy took his sheep?

Nemont

If you really wanted to be outraged about road hunting look at these assclowns.
http://www.break.com/index/best_shot_in_new_mexico.html

Nemont, I don't care if he took it at the mall. His whole story, to me, came across as self justification for being lucky. I'm also not saying I would or wouldn't do the same thing. Tell me you didn't look at the field pics and visualize shower shoes & gym shorts?:D

Nemont- I care how he got his sheep because I'm an opinionated young punk SOB!!!!!!!! How's that?

....all good points raised but lets not forget the guy wears flip-flops.

noharleyyet said:
Nemont, I don't care if he took it at the mall. His whole story, to me, came across as self justification for being lucky. I'm also not saying I would or wouldn't do the same thing. Tell me you didn't look at the field pics and visualize shower shoes & gym shorts?:D

I saw it as he took the pics on the shoulder of the road. Again not my way of hunting but it isn't any of us who have to live with the memories of his once in a lifetime sheep hunt. He does.

Nemont

Why do any of you care how this guy took his sheep?

I think most of us Stated that if thats how he wanted to hunt he could do it. Some guys like it in the Stink others like me like it in the Pink. To each their own...I don't "CARE" that he killed a ram that way, I think I stated :

but I think it's cool that he got one.....

A hunt is about the Hunter being happy and if he had a good time he's entitled to that for sure !!

I think it "IS" cool he got one..... not many people have a ram. (Not many have a Texas cow either ;) ) Kind of a Lucky / funny story too. Just knowing what I know About "REAL" sheep hunting I think he got robbed. And if your going to shoot one from the Road don't change into Hunting Gear and Boots to take the Pictures. Take them in your Hawaii shirt and Flip flops ...

Hell, Some day I'm going to shoot me a Buffalo and Not do it with a Bow and Arrow off the back of a Horse but more like Walk into a field, point and Click and have the Tractor load it up..... And I'll be dammed if I won't be wearing Flip flops for the Pictures and a Hawaii shirt , mark my words !!!! :D

"Some guys like it in the Stink others like me like it in the Pink."

Did Tbone brush his teeth?:D :D :D

Nemont- Just funnin' with ya.

One of the great things about hunting is that you can make it whatever you want. If these guy feels good about killing a ram off the highway, good for him. I don't want to and don't have to. That, IMO, is the greatest beauty of hunting. That and Moosie with his shirt off...:p

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back