Tuna

ashersdad

I've been wanting to go tuna fishing for awhile now so when my wife said she'd like to go too, I decided I better jump on it.

She did great and we had a fantastic day.

047-4.jpg

032.jpg

036.jpg

The days catch.

058.jpg

Last edited:
I would say fom the pics that you did have a fantastic day! Great catch!
Are those bigeye tuna? I`m use to seeing yellowfin.

Good haul on the albacore!
Could you pass on some details? Who did you fish with? How long of a trip? How far out were the fish? Did you get them all trolling or did you have some stops where they came to the boat? Did the boat have live bait?
I fish long range off Mex but I'd love to take my kids on a closer to home trip in the northwest sometime. Thanks and congrats!

Thanks guys!

Genesis, they are albacore tuna.

Lawnboy, my wife felt the same way while hurling over the side of the boat.:( Luckily after a patch she felt better.

Great basin, we went out with Yaquina Bay Charters out of Newport. Great outfit and captain! It was a 12 hour trip 6:00-6:00. We got them all from trolling and a couple from hand lines. No live bait and never got the chance to try the light tackle as we never found any big schools. I guess that part is better later in the season. We did have several multiple hookups including one 5 pole hookup. We were only 30-35 miles offshore.

I think this will become an annual tradition. Too fun and hard to beat fresh tuna.

Great pics.That is on my to-do list,an Oregon tuna trip with fly rod.Unfortunately it will be a guided endeavor.

Nice day on the water with your wife. I am jealous that the temperature required sweatshirts ( he said knowing that it is currently 105 degrees right now in Wichita)

I'm so jealous it's not even funny. Sweltering heat does funny things to a guy's brain.

Tuna run is on my must do list but I never seem to make it with the timing. Great catch!

Looks like alot of fun. I tried to fish for them a couple of years ago but the storms kept up from going that far out.

Man this kills me!

Those damn fish have completley bypassed SoCal on their annual run north the last couple years. The lack of albacore is bankrupting our local fleet. San Diego used to be the albacore capital of the world. Something has changed and I'm not happy about it. Sure miss those longfins!

Back