Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Trying to make the shift to DIY!

jcouto20

Brief backstory: Been hunting (small game) all my life in CA. Finally made the leap to Big game some 10 years ago with ZERO success on public land. Keep in mind that I new nothing about big game hunting. I'm a first generation hunter. No family members to teach me how. All my family only shot squirrels and rabbits and other small game. I only really knew what I saw on tv, so it turns out I was doing it ALL WRONG. About 6 years ago, life was kinder to me so I began paying to hunt private ranches with a guide. Pigs at first, and now I go yearly to Wyoming. (I'll include pictures of my latest hunt at the bottom) Well, I'm ready to make the leap. I want to do it on my own on public land, and in my home state of California. In my case at least, the one major plus to hunting with a guide for a few years is that I've learned a whole lot about how to hunt different country. However, I've never even applied here in CA so I have no idea how our system works compared to Wyoming. Is there somewhere I can go to figure out which zones I even stand a snowball's chance in hell of drawing? I've heard that some zones you shouldn't even bother applying if you didn't start 10 years ago because there is enough max point holders to go the next 75 years before they run out. I'm interested in D5, because I have a friend with a cabin up there near that national forest. I heard X12 was good too, though I probably wouldn't draw year one. Any other tips? Hopefully next year I post up a buck from public land!

Joe

PS: That's the exit on the Antelope. He was quartered towards me and wouldn't stop. :)

jc1.jpgjc2.jpg

If licenses are readily available, I'd suggest starting out on public ground in the area of Wyoming you already have hunted.
Just get the maps and give it a go. I hunted with a group traveling from the midwest, to hunt public ground in NE WY for many years. We always got our game, had a good time, and every now and then one of us shot a pretty decent buck.
We settled on hunting the last days of season, rather than the opener to avoid crowds. Some of the deer were shot out ahead of us, but we had the country mostly to ourselves. Good luck !

Joe, I have been deer hunting N CA for 37 years now on public land. I will say it's getting harder and harder as the deer herds are not what they used to be and nice 20"+ bucks are much harder to find than they used to be. On the other hand the bear population is estimated to have grown 400% since 1980 which makes filling your bear tag almost easier than filling a deer tag. I am not sure where you live or how much time you have to hunt during the season. I am in Santa Rosa and generally hunt B zones. Depending on the type of hunting you enjoy, packing into the wilderness, hunting from camp or taking short hikes off the roads I may have some suggestions if you are interested on places you can go. Best wishes on future hunts.

Jim

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back