Caribou Gear

Tru oil finish?

rmauch20

I have about four coats of tru oil on a gun stock. So far it’s really coming along well. If I don’t want a whole lot of shine to the stock should I wait and let the current 4 coats fully cure and then hit it with some super fine steel wool?
Or steel wool it now then let it set before I put a coat of wax on?

Birchwood has another product called stock sheen that will take the gloss off and condition it as well. I have some on order to try, the reviews are good on it. Steel wool would probably be fine too, not sure, I'm still pretty novice at gun finishes.

You can also use a mr clean magic eraser instead of steel wool. IMO it is alot more forgiving than steel wool. Leaves a really nice satin finish.

Birchwood has another product called stock sheen that will take the gloss off and condition it as well. I have some on order to try, the reviews are good on it. Steel wool would probably be fine too, not sure, I'm still pretty novice at gun finishes.

This. Steel wool can imbed in your finish. Use the BC product. It works well. Add a couple of coats of stock wax to it as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back