Yeti GOBOX Collection

Trophy Youth Elk Hunt

If you could beat the horrible draw odds, and the weather cooperated, the Blackfoot Clearwater tag could be one of the best trophy hunts in Montana.

Last edited:
Thanks, Randy11 and Don K.

I did notice the Blackfoot Clearwater tag for youth. But one tag offered..darn tough.

I am researching New Mexico as we speak. Pretty awesome youth hunts available. Wish more states would take a look at what New Mexico offers for youth. Looking at unit 15, Gila, muzzleloader rut hunt.

Why does a youth need a "trophy" hunt out of curiosity

Was thinking the same thing, every hunt with my Dad when I was a teenager was a trophy hunt. I hope to do the same for my son in about a decade. Just get out in the woods and spend some time together and have a memorable road trip to get to wherever we're going.

I can understand the thought of looking for "trophy hunts" first for a youth. On one hand, yes, any animal is definitely a trophy, and time afield with my kids is treasured greatly. But, on the other hand if I was going to travel across several states and spend a batch of money on tags/draws, equipment, mileage, lodging on the way there and back, etc., etc., I too would look for the "trophy" hunts first. I have heard of some good options for youths to shoot spikes or cows somewhere out west, and I would probably look into that for my kids first. Just a thought. Good luck with your search, it will surely be a great adventure regardless!

Looks like New Mexico has some great Trophy units for youth. Plain and simple we enjoy looking for big antlers and horns, and the hard work that it takes looking for mature animals. You bet we have a blast doing so, over 10,000 miles on the truck this season (MT. only Sept.-Nov.) so yes I do have some time and money to search out and travel to a state that offers a trophy type hunt for youth. To each is there own.
Great job New Mexico, for offering such opportunity for a youth to draw a trophy tag (over 50 percent chance) in some areas that would take me a lifetime to draw (maybe).

So what areas and units are you looking into in New Mexico, be good for you to share some of your thoughts so others can learn as well.

To each his own is right. If that’s what you want to do go for it, but I will tell you having a kid shoot a monster bull so young in life will make hunting trivial and all about the money. Trust me I know. Watched family do it to their kids and when they turned 16ish they could care less about the actual hunting experience, nor the animal. It was just another trophy pick to show others and off to get the meat donated. The meaning "hunting" was gone. Now they won't even go hunting unless it's with a highly notable outfitter for thousands of dollars. You even mention public land hunting and you might as well tell 'em we're buying Christmas presents from the thrift store.

I like to call it picture and wall space hunting. But like I started out with. To each his own. We all enjoy the outdoor hunting experience differently than others.

Idaho has an awesome youth mentored elk hunt, very cheap tags for kids 12 thru 17. That said, I have some room in my elk camp this fall and really enjoy having a kid in camp, esp. on their first elk hunt. I hunt out of a large traditional wall tent cap, in the Clearwater country of north central Idaho. Email me if you'd like to discuss coming out.

Yep, I agree with you MTpublichunter. my son just turned 13 in Dec. Two years hunting in MT. was able to hunt when he was 11 (new youth law). Has taken two nice 4 pt. muleys, has had many bulls bugling at him during archery season, including a bull at 15 yards in the thick timber that was really screaming at him, watched his Dad (me) miss a big bull this year (I still cant sleep) and had his first grizz encounter this fall at 40 yards sitting on our wallow. I now know why the morning was so quiet. We are making some great memories. If you like baseball you might of seen him on ESPN this summer. He was the short stop for the MT. little league team that went to Cali. We ended up losing to Wash. in the championship game. He is a good old Montana kid that loves sports, fishing and big antlers..

Why set the bar so high for a kid? He's going to spend the rest of his life trying to best it and go for a possibly unattainable goal. My first spike is a trophy to me.

Let Greenhorn take him.

Seriously, stay put, judging by the 'tanny pics posted here annually, you're in the right place. Best of luck.

Yep, he sets his goals high...from school grades, fishing, hunting and sports. I can go on and on about accomplishes from setting goals high, but that's not what the thread question is.

Why are you looking for "youth trophy hunts"? You say you have the money, lot's of hunts out there for sale that provide big antlers. mtmuley

Yes, there are a lot of great hunts out there with great quality trophy animals. Just checking if there are any units/states that have a separate unit/season for a quality youth only. Such as New Mexico.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back