MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Track ID

bucky1

OK guys,
Came across this track while turkey hunting this weekend and curious to hear some of you western guy's opinions. It would be quite unique but certainly possible that these are from a mountain lion. Wisconsin hasn't had many, but just in recent years the number of verified sightings and attacks on livestock have increased. In regards to this location in the state, within miles of a number of confirmed livestock attacks etc etc. Anyways, figured I'd post and see what is what. Sorry for the poor quality, but it was looks sand. The thing that was noted was that the claws were never evident in the track, not sure if that would be the deciding factor between a big dog or not? The shell is 2 3/4 inch. Another note, they are definitely big enough that certainly not a coyote, if a dog would have to have been a lab or bigger type breed.. anyways, looking forward to hearing insight.

Attachments

• cougar3.JPG
    cougar3.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 369
  • cougar4.JPG
    cougar4.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 369
My kneejerk reaction says cat. I cue in on the lack of claws as well. Could be a large breed dog that's been declawed but that's a reach. Maybe a large breed dog that spends a BUNCH of time in a concrete run?

I'm thinking canine, especially from the first pic. It seems to be fairly long, not as round as lion tracks often are. On the other hand the front of the track is nicely rounded, dog and wolve tracks often have the two middle toes extended further out. But its in soft sand so the toes are splayed which might make a dog track look more like a cat than normal.

Last edited:
I see other things. It appears to me that the middle toes do stick out farther than the others, and claws are clearly visible. The track is the size of a wolf, but I suspect that a wolf's claws would be worn down to the point that they wouldn't show, so my guess is a domestic dog...a big one.

Looks like a cat to me but I'd gander that the claw marks (left by canine) could have easily filled in because of the loose sand so my confidence interval is low.
70% chance of Cat

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back