Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

To horse pack into the wilderness...

Sytes

Last year having looked into options for hunting the wilderness with a disability, it appears the best option is to be packed in. I've gone back and forth on this to the point of saying, "To hell with this we're going to backpack in!" It actually kind of pisses me off. In one respect that drive has been one of the leading factors towards my recovery. Though the other side has to recognize my wife's concerns and the doctors thoughts. My brother would go with and another friend are 100 percent supportive and even my wife would be a 100 percent supportive if that's the direction I chose.

What leads me towards being packed in versus backpacking goes towards what my goal is for hunting season. The reality, the goal is a successful hunting experience whether elk or deer are harvested or not ( I would prefer success for us :) ). I will still have my personal goals while hunting in the back country.

So I'm looking for some tips. It will likely be for my brother and I and possibly a friend. It has been many years since I've been in the backcountry. So I do not have a specific location in mind nor any scouting of any areas. I'm not asking for anyone to give away any honey holes though would appreciate a general area or two.

We are not seeking off trail or anything though I would like to choose the area to set up camp and hunt. Is this possible? We would like to be dropped off with our gear and picked up 4-5 days later. Any recommendations for the scapegoat or Marshall or other wilderness areas for pack service? Any other suggested thoughts related to this type of hunting trip? Last year I was just excited to stand and trip on trails, smell the mountain air and sit around the campfire. This year it's time to buckle in and do some hunting. I am very familiar with backcountry horseback having worked with the Forest Service in the Bridger Teton wilderness back 10 years ago. Repeated many 8 day trips into the wilderness. We both owned horses the vast majority of our lives.

I know I have thrown a lot out there though any tips would be greatly appreciated. Please either p.m. or post here. Cheers all.

Last edited:
A customer of mine runs a guide service out of the bob. His name is jimmy Powell but it is his parents operation. They are one of the oldest ops in the area. You get back into the wilderness areas and you can rifle hunt during bow season. He has a great success rate, even with customers that are lacking. His pics and stories are amazing. A good time guaranteed. Issue being he is guiding up in Alaska right now and I don't have any contact info to offer. Not to offend but rather help to you id his outfit, Jimmie happens to be a large well built black man. He also happens to be one of the finest service men I've had the privilege to meet.

$1,800.00!!! Ya, that's not happening. Haha! 10 miles in, drop off our équipement and pick up 5 days later for 3 guys. Fair enough. That seems to be the average price. Also its restricted locations due to the outfitter's licensed area.

Hay burners. You can buy a good horse for peanuts now days, keeping them alive is what hemorrhages money. You sound determined. Lots of great places in this state where you can hike in and set up camp. You dont have to go way back. Study a few maps, find an area that is two miles from roads and go at it. Most people are lazy and wont venture to far from the comforts of a fully loaded cooler. Countless stories of monster shot at trailheads. Good luck on your adventures.

Yeah I hear ya. I was just hoping to make this the grand come back. most likely that is where I will hunt this year. it'll still be a great kick in the pants one way or the other though the wilderness has that mystery about it... hold that King Tut of hunting.

I looked into it further and WTR Has a great price! 48 simple drop camp you too can enjoy the wilderness for 1300 dollars per person... :W: more like WTF... basically $4000 for a horse ride and drop off your stuff and a horse ride out carry your stuff out...

Well I suppose they don't place that price there for no reason. They must have suckers that will pay that everyday of the year. What a pisser.

Last year when I mentioned the idea of trying to wheel in a game cart to assist with the disability into the wilderness 5 or so miles and having spoken with the Forest Service it was clearly evident there would be no adjustments for anyone with disabilities. the lack of discretionary authority is a real kick in the teeth to those with disabilities. I personally am on the border of disability and that is a true disability not a "I wanna drive around on roads are other people can't because my doctor will sign a form for me..." b******* I can only empathize with those with disabilities beyond my level that don't have the ability to at least try and backpack in.
2 people outside of this world I am finding there really is a discrimination against disabled people With respect to our wilderness. Disabled people pay taxes Yet due to the extreme prices It creates a barrier that does not permit people with disabilities entry into our wilderness.
I can empathize with all levels of disabilities having tasted just a fraction from paralysis to the ability of walking with limitations. disabled veterans disabled people from work and disabled people from recreational accidents.

The wilderness Protection Act is fantastic don't get me wrong. However, there must be a discretionary authority when it comes to people with disabilities.

That is the end of my rant.

After hearing about your accident a year or so ago I am really happy to hear that you are even considering a back country trip. You are an inspiration to all of us. I am not able to help with the current situation or offer assistance of any kind other than moral support. Good luck and I hope it works out for you this year. I look forward to reading the hunt tale and success report later this fall.
Have BigFin drop ya off in the helicopter.:D

Last edited:
from what I've seen Sytes your prices for horse rides are about normal..My dad was in a major car wreck this year and hasn't quite fully recovered. Being from Florida and over 60 he barely made it in last year walking so I've been looking around too..Way out of my price range for sure..I'll probably just make two trips and carry his stuff in for him..at least he thinks he can handle that...I'm not so sure

Sounds like your dad is a tough bird at any rate! Guessing you will make the two trips? He would do that for you if circumstances were reversed, right? Enjoy him while you can.

QUOTE=Mudranger1;2312333]from what I've seen Sytes your prices for horse rides are about normal..My dad was in a major car wreck this year and hasn't quite fully recovered. Being from Florida and over 60 he barely made it in last year walking so I've been looking around too..Way out of my price range for sure..I'll probably just make two trips and carry his stuff in for him..at least he thinks he can handle that...I'm not so sure[/QUOTE]

Boy, I dislike whiners! My apologies. Frustration can sometimes be a ruthless enemy.

I bet my wife would be interested in a backpacking trip. See how it goes, do a little scouting, enjoy time with my wife. That right there sounds pretty darn enjoyable.

Thanks all for the input. More power to you, Mudranger! Look forward to hearing about your hunt. Thanks everyone for your support both in posts here and in p.m's.

The memories of life times is just about upon us and for some has already begun. Always an enjoyable time in the hunt talk forums to see the pictures and read the events. The best to all of you! I look forward to sharing my story and pictures here.

What does it cost to hire a horse to pack out an elk? A hunter told me it was about $300 to get his bull out maybe 2-3 miles back. That seems worth it if you are recovering.

What does it cost to hire a horse to pack out an elk? A hunter told me it was about $300 to get his bull out maybe 2-3 miles back. That seems worth it if you are recovering.

Very true! Great point! I'll have to follow up on that price though that is a definite win if it's around that range.

Thanks RobG

We go into the bob marshall every year for early elk season. We rent our horses but even that is getting out of my price range. Two horses for 14 days run 800 dollars so I think it sounds high 1300 being drop in but no hassles with knot head horses. Info on wtr though is where they drop you for that hunt you would be very lucky to get an elk.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dtownsend
Back