Tips on locating wallows?

Joe Hulburt

I will be hunting Rocky Mt elk for the first time this season and would like to set up a tree stand over a wallow to hunt some days to let my knee rest from hiking. The unit is the Wenaha in NE Oregon....Blue Mnts.

I spent a few days over there hiking around and was able to locate one good looking wallow but it is way too far in to be used to rest up. Any tips on what to look for on topo maps or google earth to narrow down potential areas? Here on the coast a lot of wallows are just random wet spots and don't get reused but I understand that the ones over east get hit more consistently?

Any thoughts?

I assume you are talking September archery elk? Find the wallows on timbered N facing slopes. In Colorado I have found that pressured elk will feed and water in the trees, and rarely go into open meadows during the day.

I assume you are talking September archery elk? Find the wallows on timbered N facing slopes. In Colorado I have found that pressured elk will feed and water in the trees, and rarely go into open meadows during the day.

Yes, September archery elk. I've heard that early in the month is the most productive time to hunt a wallow so my plan is to hunt the first week alternating between still hunting and sitting over a wallow. I have the last two weeks to spend calling in bulls.

North facing benches near creeks are getting a lot of my attention....

N facing slopes with a bench - dark and nasty
Map the creeks and those with springs will have elk
There will be their exit / escape route close too
Follow the water up
And follow the water down
Not sure what you mean too far in?

I've only ever caught one bull wallowing - couldn't figure
Out what the hell was going on what it was
And missed moving on him! ;) cool to watch though.
Never shot a muddled up elk.

N facing slopes with a bench - dark and nasty
Map the creeks and those with springs will have elk
There will be their exit / escape route close too
Follow the water up
And follow the water down
Not sure what you mean too far in?

I've only ever caught one bull wallowing - couldn't figure
Out what the hell was going on what it was
And missed moving on him! ;) cool to watch though.
Never shot a muddled up elk.

Thanks for ideas.

By "too far in" I meant to far in to be used as a rest for my knee. I had 3 knee surgeries this winter so I will need to pace myself on this hunt. It's a once in a lifetime tag so I can't afford to blow myself out. Ideally I will locate a wallow within about 1 mile hike so I can sit on it on alternating days to rest the knee. Something along those lines anyhow.

I've never killed a Roosevelt in a wallow here or out of a tree stand but I've always wanted to.

Study your topo map. Look for springs and check out those spots.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back