Tips for a backpack newbie

mthuntinfool29

I am new to backpack hunting but am willing and able to put miles on my boots. I recently hunted an area that holds elk even with a lot of pressure. That being said, I know I need to get away from motorized roads and trails. I saw a group of elk just after daybreak...but nothing after that. I glassed and moved and glassed and moved all day long and still nothing. I don't know if I was overlooking them or what the deal was. Do any of you have any tips tricks or tactics for late season elk?

check out Randy's YouTube channel... Would be a good place to start. I've never killed an elk, so I wouldn't be much help.

I've seen every video....watched a couple of them countless times....but watching video and putting boots on ground are two different things. I discovered this the hard way

Randy's late season elk video was really informative. I haven't been able to get out this much at all this season but I got a healthy new born baby boy so not a bad season after all.
Good luck and stay persistent.

Hello..

This will be my first contribution here. But here's my tips.. And it can work for Rifle, or Archery. Not sure where you are hunting? If you're after Bull elk, start looking HIGH and DARK. If your in the mountains, look just below the snowline. (If there's been snow). If not, look 2/3rd high in elevation, in the deepest, darkest North facing hillsides you can find. You might not see an Elk all day. That's okay. This time of year, Bulls are often alone, or in small groups of other bulls. You may not see a lot of cow action.

Good-luck!

Provide the guys here with more info about your hunt, tag, etc., maybe you'll get some better advice.

- Joseph

You are not likely to see elk in high pressured areas between 30 minutes after sunrise and 30 mins before sunset. Elk will stay bedded in timber or only move through heavily timbered areas during the day in which they feel safe from orange cladded hunters. My advice if you want to kill a mature bull is to find a hidden spot that has good cover where you can glass across a canyon and look for movement or any sign of elk traveling or bedding in the area. There is always a chance you can catch something shifting during the day. Get to an open park or meadow just before daylight and watch the area for a hour or so after sun comes up. Repeat this same process one hour before sunset and try to locate bedding areas during the day. Keep the moon cycles in mind as these can be helpful to determine when elk are most active during the daylight hours. The darker it is in the evening, the better chance you have at catching elk out in the open during daylight hours. I wrote a blog on this subject a few weeks ago. See the following link- http://www.rnaoutdoors.com/single-post/2016/10/28/When-is-the-Best-Time-to-Hunt-During-Rifle-Season.

If you listen to Randy's podcast EP042 he uploaded last week, it will also give you some pointers to locate those willy mature bulls that hide out this time of year. Good luck.

I must have listened to Randy's podcast, EP030:Randy talks elk hunting strategy, day-by-day, over a five-day hunt, 5-10 times. I made multiples maps of the area I'm hunting in, and used the same approach he recommends in marking them up. While I haven't yet to be successful this year, I feel much more confident with boots on the ground and a solid game plan in place. My thought was... I can't adapt a plan without one in place to start.

Good luck!

I didn't kill my first bull until my third DIY hunt and I concur with tylerhouston in making sure you are in the most productive area the first and last 30 of light. Enjoy the hunt, adventure, and scenery and eventually an elk will hit the ground.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back