Thinking of rechambering my 7mag.

Leave it be....best cartridge on the planet.
I must agree! I've been shooting the same 7RM since 1981 and It has never let me down when I do my part.
Just use some 140 grain all copper bullets in your 7 mag. Turn it into a very flat, fast shooting joker.
It's already pretty flat shooting so you must mean "even flatter and faster shooting joker"!

I have never rechambered any thing in my life. I have a 7mag on a 98 action. Love the gun but I have a 6.5 and a 3006 I am shooting 165 partitions and I want it to be right in the middle of of the three. I can only go up to 175 in the 7mm. So frist
Is it worth it to change over on the 98 action.
What caliber should I go with.
What barrel company for price and quality is beat

Do you want to rechamber or rebarrel? Rechambering is just that; cutting a new chamber into your existing barrel. Rebarreling is just that; replacing your existing barrel with a different one of equal or lesser or greater caliber.

As was stated, the 30-06 with 200 grain partitions would do anything well in the large game field. The 7mm is probably a 9 or 10 twist. I'd just load 140-160 grain bullets in it and use it for longer work. I find the 7mm and the 06 to be very similar actually and just sold my last 7mm. A guy could do it all with the 6.5 creedmoor and 30-06.

So I'll be different and say trip the 7mm, and buy a 223, 22-250 or 22 Creedmoor.

"Get a 338. Or an 8mm Rem Mag."

I don't know about the 338 but the 8mm is a 375 H&H and needs a Long action.

My bad. Need the longer.magnum action for the 8mm. The 338 it is. Thanks for the correction! :)

Of course there's the 8mm-06 or the 8mm-.338 Win mag commonly called the PMM or Poor Man's Magnum. I know you didn't ask about the 8mm, but those are a couple that come to mind. If you're selective about bullet choice the 8mm doesn't offer as many choices, but there's likely one that will get the job done.

I'm not understanding going to a bigger caliber, with way more recoil, for not a thing gained? (7mm Rem Mag to 338 Win Mag)

Ya wanna hunt moose or bear, get a 6.5X55, or a 7mm-08, or a 25-06. All will get the same job done with way less recoil.
Meaning you would enjoy shooting it, heck you may enjoy it enough to encourage you to shoot more. Thus by default becoming more proficient.

Heck re-barrel to 257 Weatherby Magnum.

If you want it to be your “big gun”, I’d move to the .338 Win Mag. However, if the accuracy is still fine I’d keep running it as a 7RM until it needs a rebarrel. There’s not much short of dangerous game that a 175 Partition from a 7 Rem Mag can’t handle.

i'd say remington's big 7 is about the perfect do all big game cartridge for anything on this continent short of the big bears.............even then maybe with the right bullet and nerves of steel.
Big Ed

Thats called re-barreling not rechambering.
Reboring
Pagosa said:

I have a Ruger M77 Hawkeye Stainless with a 24-inch barrel in a 30-06, and after reading about the 338-06 I’m considering getting it rebarreled/rechambered. Anyone had any experience using the M77 to build from to the 338/06? Anyone know of the gun manufacturers in Montana that does rebarreling/rechambered? Thanks
Have JES in Oregon rebore the barrel. He is a great guy. Who does a great job, on time, and for less money than a rebarrel. My
338-06 shoots sub MOA with several different loads using both Barnes and Nosler bullets.

.338 in a premium blank like a Bartlein or Kreiger. If you going to spend the money to rebarrel don’t take half measures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back