They're Bugling!

Lawnboy

I had a friends wife post a video of a herd last night that came down into their field. Bulls bugling and cows mewing. It's time!!
Montana opener should be good this year n

I wondered if that cold snap last week gave them a little Kickstart. There was definately sown in the mountains over the weeked.

Can't wait!

I was scouting in Hells canyon Aug 17th and two bulls fired up between 3:30 to 4:00pm. Earliest I've heard multiple bugles myself.

We're going to drop from 90 to the upper 70's on the opener this weekend (in town), what a pleasant change from typical opening weekends. Packing in for 4-5 days tomorrow.

Good luck out there

I envy this. You guys have no idea how great you have it. :hump:

Y'all got that right.
Jackson-saving-private-ryan-1666643-852-480.jpg

You guys aren't helping my sleeping at all with this thread….my guess is that I am going to go from seeing elk in my head….to hearing them. Time for 7 more sleepless nights until we hit the road!

Y'all are making me worry that my Colorado trip may have gotten planned a little late. How long does the elk rut usually last? I'm driving up the 18th or 19th.

Roughly 36 more hours! Can't wait!!! Many have said they shedded about a week early this year too. I still believe the rut is controlled by daylight but the cooler weather is sure getting them more active than normal.

Weather has warmed back up a bit, but it should be a good opening weekend. Can't wait to see some pics!

Roughly 36 more hours! Can't wait!!! Many have said they shedded about a week early this year too. I still believe the rut is controlled by daylight but the cooler weather is sure getting them more active than normal.

+1

I'm with you there, I don't think temperature has much to do with bugling or breeding at all. At least from my short 5 years of elk hunting and research. All about sunlight in their eyes and your latitude/longitude IMO.

I'm really excited for this opener tho, hopefully 60's on the mountain will get them more active. Instead of 93 degrees at 7000 feet at camp last year on the opener.

Anything beats Djibouti in August. That was one tough elk season last year living in a CONEX container dreaming of my departure only two short weeks away. Bugles or not being in the mountains makes any season enjoyable. Good luck to everyone!

Been thinking about you! I remember a post not long ago asking you how your were "handling" the move. You replied your were managing. The post of yours that I quoted answers the question for me. It's been 4 years since I moved east and this time of year it hits me hard. I friggin' hate it! Doesn't help that a recent job opening was posted that would put me back in good country, making what I make now, doing what I really want to do. I feel for ya and wish I could say it gets better. For me it hasn't yet... That said, good luck and try not to go too crazy.

I just spent Thursday, Friday and Saturday on the Idaho/Montana divide.
Rain, lots and lots of rain. I saw herds of 30, 16, 10, 37, and 40 or so. I did not see a spike. I saw one smallish bull with the herd of 10 cows. I MAY have heard 1 or 2 bugles, hard to say. With that many cows, if the rut was on, I should have seen bulls and heard a cocaophany of bugles!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back