The TV Show

Those are great times Randy! Congrats! I will spread the word with a few buddies and set the DVR.

Just a little over a month away, you have to both excited and nervous.

Can't wait to watch them. The Sunday show should really pull in some ratings.

You guys are gonna be very interested to hear who the sponsors are. Not because they are anything out of the normal realm of TV show sponsors, but the fact that they stuck their necks out in difficult economic times and took a risk on a new show. And they did it because they want to show their support for the average guy who represents the majority of their customers.

If I was to paraphrase the most common comment these sponsoring companies have had, it would be this.

It is about time the average guy has a show that he can relate to, and we want to be their to show our support for the average guy. Too much of what is available for us to be associated with is outside the realm of most our customers. These are our guys and we will find a way to support a show that is relevant to them.

The companies who "get it" are excited to finally have a chance to connect with average hunters. They understand who is the driving force in the future of hunting, and want to be part of it.

It is very rewarding when some of the biggest players in the industry look at this and sign on because they connect with the message. They want to support you and your hunting.

Unfortunately, many sponsors have had responses such as:

"This will be too devisive. Your promotion of non-guided hunting is too contrary to what is in the mainstream hunting message and we will lose more customers than it will attract."

"We don't think the average guy spends much money."

"Even though they are the largest number of license holders, they don't represent our best custmer."

"Average guys aren't committed enough to hunting to spend the money on our products."

"Non-guided hunting is a niche market. It will lose its shine after a few episodes."

Who knows, maybe they are correct, but the data doesn't say that.

A common thread among all sponsors is this. American-based companies have a tendency to have hunters from top to bottom within the organization. These companies understand what this show is about. Even though many in these companies are invited on guided hunts, when it comes time to hunt for their own pleasure, it is non-guided On Your Own hunting.

The foreign-based companies seem to have a much higher percentage of non-hunters in many of the important positions that influence their marketing strategies. Though most of them don't hunt, these folks are very sharp and understand marketing. But, they don't understand the distinction between types of hunting, such as guided and non-guided. To them, hunting is hunting. That is frustrating, but a reality of the business world, and another part of why we see what we see on TV.

Every major company in the hunting industry was given an opportunity to be involved in the show, and many at amazing discounts, if they would sign long-term deals. Some will be conspicuous in the absence, given what concession we offerred to try get them on board.

Some are still working to find a way to release themselves of other agreements and sign on to our show. We will continue to work hard to find ways that allow those who understand the message to be associated with it.

For most, it does not come down to money, but to what hunting message they want to be associated with, or are willing to be associated with.

We are a new show, and I don't expect miracles, or people to give me any type of special treatment. Anyone who has tried to sell a new concept, in a market like this, knows that special treatment is not part of the deal. The hardest part of this entire endeavor has been trying to sell the show.

I hope when you see the sponsors, you support them as much as possible, as they are all taking a risk on a new show, a new concept, and the notion that non-guided hunting is what constitutes reality for most Americans. Many are taking this risk against the advice of their outside ad agencies. I will do everything in my power to reward them for supporting the notion of the average guy, and I hope our viewers will do the same.

Fin, those quotes from the non-takers show how far they are out of touch with the customer. I don't care who they are and what they are selling. The majority of the guys here would show that they are wrong.

This will be too devisive. Your promotion of non-guided hunting is too contrary to what is in the mainstream hunting message and we will lose more customers than it will attract."

"We don't think the average guy spends much money."

"Even though they are the largest number of license holders, they don't represent our best custmer."

"Average guys aren't committed enough to hunting to spend the money on our products."

"Non-guided hunting is a niche market. It will lose its shine after a few episodes."

Wow a couple of these statements do not seem like reality based. How is it that I only know a few hunters who go on guided hunts compared to the many that are DIY? Is this a western thing or what? :confused:

I will be watching the show is all I know for sure.:D:cool:

Hope you aren't packing around an Encore next season. With TC's spending on seems like every other TV hunter I would be willing to bet they'd be against this type of show.

I'll probably have to wait till december to see the episodes but can't wait!!!!

BTW BigFin,
Is there a website, phone number etc where I can see who has permits to film on public land? I think theres a couple guys making money out there without buying the permits. Can I look them up somewhere?

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back