NEW SITKA Ambient 75

The Nash Man gets his first buck.

twodot

Well after much hill walking, and hours of looking at nothing but muley does and dinks. Our youngest, Nashua said that he wanted to go after a whitetail. Good enough. We can do whitetail. Young Nash had a spot all picked out on a bluff above an oxbow in the river where we had seen several whitetails a few days back. His Mother and he headed in there early in the afternoon so Sarah would have time to use her shovel to dig them a seat in the top of the bare hill. They knew that they would be fairly exposed, but as the sun goes down anything on that high point is just about impossible to see from below for the last couple hours of daylight. Kinda like a solar deerblind. Well, sure enough, the whitetails are moving real well right now and they began seeing deer right of the bat. To the best of their count, they ended up seeing 9 different bucks in shooting distance. Nashua decided that this 8 pointer would fit his wall just right. This deer was in deep trouble. They had laserd a couple trees in the area and knew the buck was between 180 and 200 yards steep downhill. Our small shooter was dug into a hillside and had my old 725 Rem. 30-06 propped up in his shooting sticks. ( He has been a very sucessfull competitive blackpowder shooter since he was 7) I had told him and his mother to "shoot for bone" because their little hotspot is surrounded on three sides by priviate land that is outfitted and any deer they shot needed to be dropped in it's tracks if possible. Sarah had just got her vidio cam on and was not zoomed in yet when Nash saw his shot. The 180 grainer to the high shoulder / spine dropped his buck where he stood. After a quick round of congrats from ol' mom, they noticed the buck was moving a bit. Never one to be concerned with saving ammo, Nash sent one more shot downthe hill. That took care of things for good. Their shooting attracted the attention of the outfitter/rancher who borders the ground they were hunting. (he too was hunting) He came over to see what was up and was very supportive of Nash getting the buck even though he admitted he wished that we would not have found this hotspot. He was a good sport and neighbor about it. When the older son, Ben and I came home from our mule deer hunt and saw that Sarah's jeep was still gone, we knew we would have a late night. Sure enough, by the time we got in there and skinned, quartered, shot more pictures etc, then packed it all out 1 and 6 tenths mile was a bit after 12 midnight when we came in. Awesome hunt for Sarah and Nash. How many guys got to shoot their first buck with their mom along? Hunt was all on BLM ground and as on your own as can be.

Attachments

• IMG_8478.jpg
    IMG_8478.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 464
  • IMG_8484.jpg
    IMG_8484.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 469
On the way out. 11 year old Nashua with head and skin in his pack.

Attachments

• IMG_8485.jpg
    IMG_8485.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 468
Last edited:
That is a very respectable whitey...congrats to Nashua...those boys sure do favor Mom. Good pics 2wdot.

Congratulations Nash. I reckon in a few more years the neighbor outfitter might be asking those young fella's to guide for him. My complimentst to you and your family "making a night of it" and getting that buck out right away. That shows dedication and should be commended.

I look forward to more grip and grins from your crew!

Good stuff, twodot. Congrats to Nashua.

How many guys got to shoot their first buck with their mom along?

My mom was hunting with me in relatively rough country when I shot my first deer. :)

Thanks to everyone, it was for sure, an evening to remember. This was Nash's first buck, but not his first deer, The first deer was back in 2008 when he showed us what happens when you mix a 9 year old kid with a .50 cal White and a 50 yard doe. He had to sit out last year's season because of MTs restrictive age qualfications, but has made his brag that he will make up for it this year. First of the week, we will head for the Little Belts and see what he can do to an elk. Below is the 2008 muzzle loader first deer kill.

Attachments

• Nash&1st deer-11-30-08.JPG
    Nash&1st deer-11-30-08.JPG
    183.3 KB · Views: 383
That is great! Congrats to the young man on a great buck! Your family is beaming with genuine smiles!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back