Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Thanks to the Hunter Ed Instructors

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Spent the last two days in Estes Park, Colorado at the International Hunter Education Association (IHEA) annual summit. Spending the time mingling with these hunter ed coordinators and the many volunteer instructors makes you realize just how unique the hunting community is.

Some of you may be hunting ed instructors and if so, you understand the level of dedication these VOLUNTEERS have for the future of hunting. To all of you who volunteer for that activity, I thank you.

Hunting seems to be deeply rooted in the spirit of volunteerism. Whether it is the committee members of the many conservation groups, or the Hunter Ed instructors, it amazes me how much we accomplish as a result of these many wonderful volunteers.

I still remember my hunter ed instructors. Owen Gordon, who was the owner of the local hardware store in our little town, and Paul Reese, the teacher who taught a combined 5th/6th grade at our little school.

If not for the dedication of people like Owen and Paul, and the thousands of others who teach hunter education, hunting in this country would not be the great activity that it is. I am sure all of you have someone similar to thank for your hunting education.

I would ask that if you know a hunter ed instructor, please thank them for their time, effort, and commitment to the future of hunting. Spending time with these people was a true joy.

For the message of our TV show, they all “get it.” They were very receptive for a show that is about experiences of the average person. IHEA has drafted a memorandum of understanding that they would like network and TV show producers to adopt that would outline “best practices” for display of proper hunting behavior and safety. Seems like a “no brainer” to me, but we already adopt those principles in our show.

Thanks to IHEA and all the hunter ed instructors. It was a joy to spend this time with you.

Bill Haley of the Wyoming Game and Fish taught me hunters safety many years ago when I was just 9 years old. He is still the local game warden and I see him out all of the time. I actually say him yesterday at an auction. I thank him almost everytime I see him.

One of my hunting buddies has been a hunters ed teacher for a long time.
It's something I think I'd like to do at some point to give back a little.
Big thanks from me too.

Last edited:
The Hunter Education Volunteers are the backbone of our hunting heritage continuing, we all need to make a point of offering to help the local guys in any possible way.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back