Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Texas Mule Deer

Harley61

Any advice, or any information on public land mule deer hunting in Texas? Where to go?
I have been living in East Texas for about a year now, and the Whitetail and Hog hunting here is fantastic. I have always wanted to hunt Muleys though, and I am not sure what area to try this year.
I have really enjoyed following the discussions on the forums here. This is one of the best sites i have visited.

Matador WMA in Cottle County is pretty good public access, had an uncle shoot a nice 5x5 out there. I think all you need is a state license and possibly a management area permit, not sure on that though. Good country out there, should have a good chance. Good luck and keep us updated.

Thanks for the info. I looked it up, and they are only having drawn hunts for deer this year. I am looking for something without a draw permit requirement also. Thought there might be some federal land one could just hunt, but have not found anything for muleys yet.
Once again, Thanks for the help.

Forgot to mention the hog hunting at Matador as well, don't know if you have to draw for them as well but it would be a good way to scout for mule deer and get some target practice at the same time.

Harley61,

I think you may be out of luck for any reliable Muley Hunting on Public ground here in Texas. Unfortunately 98% of TX is private and any decent public will usually be a draw. The odds of the few Mule deer hunts will make even a GMU 21 CO tag seem like a slam dunk. If you look at the TX draw booklet you''ll find last years tag/applicant ratio. What is not published or researchable are the amount of entries for those applicants (TX Pref Point system). So the 3% chance of drawing that Matador tag is likely .3% or .03%.

Unfortunately "Leasing is King" in TX and unless you find that special place,on public ground, leasing will be your only option. Now leasing is a whole can of worms of it's own. PM me if you would like to investigate that route. I leased for years and even though I don't anymore I still have quite a few contacts.

My suggestion to you for Mule deer is to apply for close by states. If you are in East TX and willing to drive all the way our to Matador it's not much further to NM or CO. Non trophy Mule deer tags can be had there every year and a lot will have Mule deer populations greater than even the best spots in TX.

Nothing in this world that's worth having comes easy

drthornton,
Thanks for the heads up. I may do just that. I have noticed it is more difficult finding good public land here in Texas, compared to other states I have lived in. I have found some excellant spots for archery in east texas, but only a few to gun hunt. There is some Army Corp land that is pretty good, thought there might be that, or a national forest or 2 further west.
Once again, thanks for all the help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back