MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Talk me out of the .308

I shot a .308 for years. On plus side, lots of data on how the bullet flies as is a sniper caliber. If you change altitude and temperatures and hunt in the wind is nice to have that data and have confidence in the data. Also, a bit less kick than .30-06 but similar performance.

The downside is not as many bullet options, even if hand load, with the .308 (vs. the .30-06) and if ever travel to boonies or Africa you are more likely to find spare .30-06 ammo than .308. Might be a factor as evaluate less popular calibers.

As for lethal aspect of .308, just do not stretch the range and make a good shot. I now use a .338 Win Mag for everything but pronghorn as provides a bit more range, handles the crosswind a bit better with a heavier bullet option and can make a less than perfect bullet placement have higher chance is one and done.

Whatever rifle you get, I suggest finding a bullet it likes and use that for everything. Confidence on how the bullet performs in a wide range of conditions is important when a shot opportunity arises but is only there for seconds. You sometimes do not have time to do much more than take a range reading and get on target. Know the bullet and good things happen.

6.5 Creedmore

At least spell it right. Creedmoor! ;)

If you like the .308 go for it. There are no magic bullets out there, if you have an accurate rifle, the right bullet choice for the game you are hunting and hunt within the limitations of any cartridge and your skill set than most cartridges will get it done.

Heard someone say one time, and its largely true, you have to neck the suck out of the .308. The 7-08, 260, 243...all better than the parent, IMO.

Caliber will very seldom trump poor shooting, or bullet selection. Show some proof that the .308 cartridge failed you and maybe you will make a little more sense.

I really don't care to make any more sense to you, and I have no desire to provide you any proof.

I can tell you that:

• Expert Shooter (far better than you)
  • Using high quality handloads, something you can't afford
  • Likely shot by someone far better looking than you

Has thousands of $$$$ of receipts indicating that a .308win does not deserve anything good to say about it.

I can't say anything good about the .308 Win. Sorry.

Only two "disasters/rodeos" I have ever had both involved shooting game with a .308 Win.

Better calibers in my gun safe and my experience. Others may disagree.

(And yes, the plural of "anecdote" is "data", in this case.)
30-06, 300 Win Mag, 300 WSM, etc are all the same caliber as a 308 Win. Do not like them either? ;) :D

Heard someone say one time, and its largely true, you have to neck the suck out of the .308. The 7-08, 260, 243...all better than the parent, IMO.
A pretty good "Big Stick" quote!

I've seen a fair number of critters fall to a 308 in the last couple years. I like the caliber a lot and will continue to pack mine more than any other rifle in the safe.

There's a reason military snipers use .308's....

Because it's free. The big military is a decaying beast that is 20-30 years behind the civilian community in pretty much every aspect. The 308 is a fine cartridge, but mil snipers aren't using it because it's the best, they do so because it's what's issued and in the system.

As for the 308 and elk (or any NA animal) put it into the chest same as a 300 RUM, 375, or 458win. Find the minimal expansion velocity of your bullet- that's the max range in general. There is no magic in bullets or terminal ballistics.

Yep. As I mentioned in another thread, I really like the .243 Win, think it was a great use of that case. I carry a .243 as often as I can. Maybe even this weekend to hunt some "big game".

And, I am likely going to buy a 7-08.

I had bad experiences, twice, with game and a .308win, so that was enough data, for me.

30-06, 300 Win Mag, 300 WSM, etc are all the same caliber as a 308 Win. Do not like them either? ;) :D

A pretty good "Big Stick" quote!

Are you confused with the terms "caliber" and "cartridge"?

I have tried to use the term .308Win so that I am clear what I am not a fan of.

I don't think a .308win and a 300 Win Mag are in the same discussion for anybody except for yourself.

I don't think a .308win and a 300 Win Mag are in the same discussion for anybody except for yourself.

They shoot they exact same bullets a couple of hundred FPS different. What bullet "failed" you in the 308?

So what range is a 308win not good for?

Dozens of tags punched with the 308 over the last 30 years without a lost animal... Actually can't remember any taking more than one shot. I wouldn't hesitate

if-politicians-had-man-buns-2.jpg

In Russia we uze zee metric seestim cartidgez and watch zee fake newz. Forgetz zee 308

6.5 iz verrrrry nice!

You confused the terms, not I. You stated you had better calibers in your safe after only mentioning the 308 Win. See below. Then again my mis-typing confused the issue as I should have typed "Do you not like them either?".

I can't say anything good about the .308 Win. Sorry.

Only two "disasters/rodeos" I have ever had both involved shooting game with a .308 Win.

Better calibers in my gun safe and my experience. Others may disagree.

(And yes, the plural of "anecdote" is "data", in this case.)

You keep this up and I'm going to need a cyber safe space.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back