Yeti GOBOX Collection

Tackle for salmon

Foxtrot1

We drew a complete nub this year on tags, so we were thinking about doing a salmon fishing trip to AK. So far I've looked at renting a FS cabin in SE AK, so we could also do some scouting for a future bear trip. We've looked at some cabins that would let us to fish some rivers and creeks. Probably gonna time it for the coho run, but may try to pick up some trout as well. All that said, what tackle/rods would you guys take assuming you fly in and are stuck with what you initially bring. Definitely going with spinning/casting gear. Thanks for any input

Tough to go wrong with a 9' spin or baitcast rod with quality 12-20 pound mainline.

I assume you'll be using drift gear and lures?

Never salmon fished. I do trout fish and steelhead fished 10 yrs ago. So I'm pretty much open to any suggestions you guys have. I've looked at cabins on streams with no restrictions and ones with artificial only restrictions. I was planning on drift fishing with roe/egg imitations or casting spinners, spoons, or plugs. What are your go to set ups?

I've never fished for silvers, but for steelhead and chinook, I've mostly used drift gear because it is much less expensive than chucking $6 lures.

If the silvers are 10-15 pound fish, I'd try the following for drift gear.

24" 10 pound leader tied to a size 2 Octopus hook (egg loop knot). Add a small corky and some orange/red/white yarn and bump it along the bottom with the appropriate amount of pencil lead.

Blue Fox #5 spinners catch chinook, I'd guess they'll do fine for silvers.

I've used lots of stuff on salmon. Jigs work (size dependent on conditions). Hot colors (cerise, reds, greens, chartreuse). Have caught plenty of salmon snapping jigs back and straight retrieve. Drifted under a bobber can be deadly.

Spinners I'd use blue fox, mepps size 3-5, but probably more in the 4-5 range.

Spoons I'd go with pixie's in a variety of colors. Absolutely crushed the cohos in Canada on crocodiles (un-hammered brass with an orange stripe).

I've used things as simple as a piece of yarn with roe. I would bring some roe if you have it. Pro-cure red hot always worked best for me.

Try varying your retrieve...in particular with spoons. I've seen times when anything over about as slow as you can retrieve one without hanging up, being too fast. Reeled in slack water so slow you had to set the hook when you your line went tight. Any faster retrieve, they wouldnt touch it.

Dont do plugs...so cant help you there.

I would have a variety of sizes and colors though...and never buy just one of anything as thats what they're sure to bite on and you'll lose it after your 4th or 5th fish...

Last edited:
Went up the last two years. First to Etolin and last year to POW. Had a blast on both trips. Took several rods but ended up mainly using my 8' 6" spin rod with a Blue Fox # 4 spinner in the creek and Buzz bombs in the salt. 8 weight fly rod got quite a bit of action as well with egg sucking leeches. Planning on making another trip up there this Sept as well. Careful because it can be addicting! Hardest part about fishing in the creeks is keeping the pinks off your line so a silver will take your rig. Make sure to do plenty of arm exercises prior to going because you are going to be sore after a day of fighting and reeling in fish!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gauravsingh
Back