MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

SW Montana Elk Tag

Rcfireninja

I drew a general combo tag for MT. This will be my second bull tag, struck out in Colorado OTC archery 4 years ago. Was able to get a cow last year in Wyoming for my first elk.

I have some areas narrowed down in SW Montana, grizzly country. I rented a cabin in Island Park, ID the third week of June for a family trip to Yellowstone (scouting trip).

Plan on doin day hikes with the family to hot springs and lakes up in elevation then glassing for elk.

I have September 9-18 off to get it done with my bow.

Any suggestions/hints/discussion in the following months would be greatly appreciated to help get me ready.

Thanks everyone.

Chris

Things will be much different in September than June. I fact, with the snow we have this year you may not get to where you want to be in september in June. Good to get the lay of the land at least on the early adventure. Bear spray recommended, i double up with glock 10mm with 180 gr buffalo bores to spray as well.....

Don't expect a whole lot of talking by the elk in September. They've learned to be quiet or die in wolf country..especially SW MT. Not saying you won't hear anyting but it will likely be a lot less than most places mid September.

Thanks guys. Ya I just want to get the lay of the land. Scouting from google earth can only do so much good. I am gonna try to take a quick scouting trip middle or end of August. Just depends on the fire season this summer and if I can get away. 3 canisters of bear spray for the family on our outing along with wife and I both carrying handguns. I plan on calling very limited due to my inexperience and predators like mentioned above. I like to spot and stalk, hiking up high and glassing is my forte.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UPWolf
Back