Surely we can do better.

If it weren't for condescension some of you Tanny centrospheres couldn't type.:rolleyes:

I've been all over the world:

That place:

Glasgow,
Sidney,
Havre,
Kalispell,
'Helena,
Billings,
Alzada,
Glendive,
Box Elder,
Missoula,
Connor,
Sula,
Wisdom,
Dillon,
Lima,
Augusta,
Shelby,
Eureka,
Libby,
Ronan,
Polson,
Ovando
Drummond,
Deerlodge,
Butte,
Bozeman,
Big Timber,
Red lodge,
Cooke City,
Gardener,
Dell,
West Yellowstone,
Great Falls,
Sims,
Broadus,
Circle,
Jordan,
Terry,
Faifield,
Webaux,
Winnett,
Baker,
Miles City,
Ekalaka,
Ashland,
Philipsburg
Victor,
Corvallis,
Darby,
Stevensville,
Florence,
Frenchtown,
St Regis,
Superior,
Condon,
Plains,
Big Arm,
Big Fork,
Grant,
Horse Prairie,
Malta,
Saco,
Hinsdale,
Whitewater,
Opheim
Fort Benton,
Fort Peck,
Chouteau

The world is a big place!:rolleyes:

When bison becomes the meat of choice in the US they will have priority over beef. Until then.....

They are the meat of choice in many households around here my friend......;) I don't know when the last time there was an ounce of beef in my freezer:)

They couldnt get to them to test them because they didnt have a boat? I'll bet if someone was there poaching shed antlers they would find a boat real quick to get out there and ticket him!

They couldnt get to them to test them because they didnt have a boat? I'll bet if someone was there poaching shed antlers they would find a boat real quick to get out there and ticket him!

Using my best Ed McMahon voice....You are correct sir!!

BigShooter, I hope that you dont have big feet, or this is going to seriously hurt. I suggest some lubrication. And I never state anything unless I already have the facts.
Katqanna......you might want to check your facts before yo start flapping as far as the cheap grazing and the brucellosis.

Page 15 - BLM and Forest Service Rates 1.35, last line of chart, which has not changed since 2011

January 2013 BLM statement of 1.35 AUM rate

Montana Private Grazing Fees 2013 - 23.60 cow/calf pair

Now, as to brucellosis, here is the link to the MTDOL, look up the news releases years 2008, 2010 and 2011. This is where you will find the brucellosis cases that state, "An epidemiological investigation should help identify the source of the disease, Zaluski said. In all four of the state’s recent brucellosis incidents, elk, not cattle or bison, were determined to be the likely source of the infections. Results from genetic fingerprinting should be available in a couple of weeks." "The genetic analysis is consistent with other epidemiological information that suggests the transmission of brucellosis from elk to cattle," said Dr. Martin Zaluski, state veterinarian."

What about elk? Far more wide spread, and many carry the disease.

Shoots....valid point, but the feeders don't see it that way. I'm not saying that it's right, wrong , or indifferent....just saying that they don't include elk when they turn cattle down. Fortunately, we have not experienced this yet due to the fact that we are not close to bison herds, but I have good friends that live along the High-Line that have great cattle and are good operators, and have had this told to them by feeders that have bought their cattle for years. The feeders are scared of them and don't want them.

Katqanna.......I wasn't arguing grazing fees.....I was arguing the fact that grazing fees are not the reason that cattleman don't want the bison. It goes a tad deeper than grazing fees. Again, cattle feeders are not concerned with the elk.........but they are the bison. Maybe they just aren't aware of the threat that elk impose.

Dinkshooter: "Classy" you say? It's sure a good thing that I don't give two chits what you think of me!!

Update on FWP testing of the bison in the river.

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/news/wildlife/article_9c2a8f84-c35f-11e2-a0f0-001a4bcf887a.html

I was there yesterday taking pictures and rafters from a rafting company were going by while I was shooting. So when we went into Gardiner, I saw the company's rafts and went in to ask if they had seen any other bison and in their opinion, what was the condition of the river by that bison, Theron, one of the quides, said that he has seen that bison since it first it showed up and has rafted past it a number of times now. When I asked how deep or dangerous it was there, he said that everyday you can get your raft right there, get out and walk.

I am not going to say that FWP does not have the safety of their personnel to consider. Human safety is tantamount to testing. I am glad that they are looking into testing this one now, since it is closest to where Hoppe had his sheep. An overall photo of the banks can be seen on this page with the bison circled for reference.

There is a current problem, that as soon as I get the photos taken care of tomorrow morning or possibly late this evening, after Bruce Smiths elk presentation, can post. This could seriously impact our Bighorns in that area.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back