Strategy for 2nd rifle Colorado GMU 71...

Not new to elk or elk hunting, however I am new to Colorado 2nd rifle. Hunting unit 71 and had settled on an area that 1) felt I could get away from the masses by bivy hunting and 2) picked a transition zone based a lot on CDOW elk migration routes and other research; all that was needed was some cold weather to start things moving. Most if not all of the maps I looked at showed the elk migrating from east to west in this unit - am I correct to assume that given the warm weather lately this move likely has not started? Since it appears that we are not going to get the cold weather do you guys change your approach?

I have marked a dozen dark timber and northern slopes on my GPS that I will check out. The area I am planning to hunt ranges 7200 - 9200ft so not a lot of the 'high country' I have hunted in other areas.

Lastly - was fortunate enough to draw a deer tag as well. What type of quality should one expect from 71 in terms of mule deer?

Stay safe and good luck out there.

I plan to kill an elk or two at 7800 feet at daylight tomorrow:). No reason elk won't be in those elevations you mentions. 9,000 feet is high elevation for my sept and early Oct elk
Hunts and I never hunt in snow it seems. Just be flexible and mobile?

Last edited:
Back