Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Steens - Oregon

HoofsUp

Anyone have fairly recent information about Muley hunting in the Steens Mountain are in Oregon? I drew teh tag this year and plan on scouting it once or twice, but need some starting points. I know about the areas that are open to Access and Habitat, but figure most of those areas will be overrun with road hunters. I would like to get away from the crowds that hunt the roads, maybe even spike out a nght or two. If you know of a decent 2-3 day hunt/loop let me know. Any information would be great.

Thanks - JD

Hoofsup, I did some research about the Steens area a couple of years ago. Unfortunately the guy I getting the info from flaked on me to the point that I'd never trust him going on a hunting trip with me -ever.
Since I'll never get around to trying to pull a tag for the area, I'll let you know what little I found out. There is a chain of peaks overlooking a reservoir. I think it's called Sheep's Reservoir. Anyway, sneak into the bowls between these peaks, and you'll find big muleys. Warning: they're STEEP.

Sheeps Reservoir?

DD, Are you sure that's the name? I can't find Sheep's Reservoir on any maps. Could be tough scouting this year with the large snowpack. I hear the loop road isn't even close to being opened.

Maybe the old memory is playing tricks on me after 7-8 years. Come to think of it, that might not be the name of the reservoir (... I've been stareing at too many topo maps for too long). But, I clearly remember finding a reservoir in a valley and above it were a whole chain of peaks. In the areas between the peaks were depressions or "bowls" as indicated by the topo altitude lines. That's supposed to be the spot. I couldn't pull anymore information out of my flakey friend. Good luck; you've got a great tag.
Hope I'm not making this up, but Iron Mountain somewhat rings a bell. (ps. what my ex-friend calls a 'reservoir' just might be called a 'spring' or a stock pond.) Sorry to be so imprecise; this was 7-8 years ago.

haystack-needle.jpg

Contact Roaring Springs Ranch and see if they will allow you to pass through and head toward Homes Creek. If not look toward the French Glen side of the Steens and scout out the BLM ground East of Homes Creek.

Not as many Monsters as the early 90's and late 80's but they are making a come back.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back