Steelhead Fever!

Talked to my friend tonight, he's coming out for a week in March and we're hoping to tour the Mo, Blackfoot, and maybe the Root. It's not steelhead, but trout fishing in March isn't bad either way!

If you guys are gonna go to the Root you should do yourself a favor and roll over the hill for 3 days and chase some Steelhead. If your buddy is from where we grew up he will certainly appreciate the size of the fish. The 3 day non res license is 37.50 and there is a lot of great camping available on the river or some pretty cheap hotels. March will be primetime fishing and I can't imagine going that far and not doing a midweek trip for Steel. It's just like fishing the PM or Betsie, just a little rockier and the fish are 40% bigger.

If you guys are gonna go to the Root you should do yourself a favor and roll over the hill for 3 days and chase some Steelhead. If your buddy is from where we grew up he will certainly appreciate the size of the fish. The 3 day non res license is 37.50 and there is a lot of great camping available on the river or some pretty cheap hotels. March will be primetime fishing and I can't imagine going that far and not doing a midweek trip for Steel. It's just like fishing the PM or Betsie, just a little rockier and the fish are 40% bigger.

Not a bad idea, I might have to look into that. I was hoping we'd get a chance to hit the skwala hatch this year, last year we were a few days too late. Would have just ended up hitting the boat hatch.

Great looking fish fellas.

Not sure about steelhead, but I've been told Salmon used to make it into Nevada of all places. That ended with the dams, but IIRC Salmon Falls Creek in northern NV had Salmon and is now stocked with Kokaknee. If salmon made it there I'd assume steelhead as well, but I'm not much of a fish guy. FWIW...

They came up the Snake and into the tributaries coming in from N. Nevada. Would be cool fishing them in the Jarbridge.

I've only fished Oregon for steelhead so far (Deschutes, Roseburg) but really need to get up to the Clearwater for the b-runs.

Back