Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Steelhead Fever!

Rat Fink

Who else gets a case of Steelhead Fever this time of year? It's all I can think about everyday. My fishing this spring will be extremely limited unfortunately. I was planning on a Oregon Coastal Steelhead trip in late February but my wife will be having our 2nd kid any day now and some other outside factors have caused me to put that on hold for this year. So even with the poor returns, I will be fishing ID a few times this spring. I just can't wait to break out the Centerpin and start working some seams with a float and jig.

Attachments

• Niagra Gold Steel.JPG
    Niagra Gold Steel.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 357
  • Picture 026.jpg
    Picture 026.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 353
  • Picture 035.jpg
    Picture 035.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 349
Beautiful fish. My old man lives on the Salmon and caught a 32" hatchery hen recently, which isn't too common on that river. He is retired and pretty much fishes for a few hours each day since it's less then a mile to the river.

I'm feelin it man!! Just opened a Cabelas box, spoolin up with fresh line.Steelies here I come!!

Talked to my friend tonight, he's coming out for a week in March and we're hoping to tour the Mo, Blackfoot, and maybe the Root. It's not steelhead, but trout fishing in March isn't bad either way!

I'm feeling your pain Rat Fink. Bummed out about the low numbers on the Clearwater but I think we have been spoiled the last few years. Making plans for a few trips on the Clearwater and Salmon river.
scan0017 (800x545).jpg[/ATTACH].
Now I'm just waiting for HUNT to post a few pics of his own to help with the mood.

Attachments

• IMG_20130411_172312_399 (800x451).jpg
    IMG_20130411_172312_399 (800x451).jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 229
Great pics! I've spent a few days fishing for them on the Clearwater. Good times and hella fun to catch. I'll let you guys eat 'em... ;)

I have the Fever. Been tying bugs for a month. Got do something to forget about Deer season. Good luck with the baby. See ya on the river. HUNT

Attachments

• IMG_0596.jpg
    IMG_0596.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 178
  • 08 062.jpg
    08 062.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 179
Last night I had to make some new bead creations just to scratch the itch.

Attachments

• Beads.jpg
    Beads.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
Montana guys. Is it possible to catch a steelhead in Montana? Just wondering...we could make it the 'Northwest Slam' OR/WA/ID/MT:cool:

Unfortunately there were no historic Steelhead runs into Montana due to the falls on the Clark Fork system. So us Montanans have to travel to ID or beyond to get our fix. I have caught Steelhead in most of the Great Lakes States, Ontario, and ID. I want to add AK, CA, OR, and WA to the list. Also need to get to B.C.

Unfortunately there were no historic Steelhead runs into Montana due to the falls on the Clark Fork system. So us Montanans have to travel to ID or beyond to get our fix. I have caught Steelhead in most of the Great Lakes States, Ontario, and ID. I want to add AK, CA, OR, and WA to the list. Also need to get to B.C.
Not sure about steelhead, but I've been told Salmon used to make it into Nevada of all places. That ended with the dams, but IIRC Salmon Falls Creek in northern NV had Salmon and is now stocked with Kokaknee. If salmon made it there I'd assume steelhead as well, but I'm not much of a fish guy. FWIW...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back