Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Spot and stalk?

P&Y records show Idaho has 303 record bears, followed by Alaska with 295. Montana has a scant 86 entries. The Canadian provinces dominate. Bottom line, after skimming some of these details.. I'd never turn in my MT bear tag to hunt in Idaho, where baiting is allowed. But if a P&Y bear is what you are after, there's definately easier places to go with your bow..

Canada baiting is the best to get a Nice bear. Someone baits for you and you show up and Wack it !!!! I love it !!

Greeny, 86 entries and it's all spot and stalk ? I bet 300 or the 303 in Idaho were Baited sites. Thats why you Montana guys rock !! (Well, you suck, but thats why I hunt with ya hump )

Moosie, don't look at me.. I've never arrowed one, have always just used a gun. Also, I'm a piss-poor judge of a good bear. But I still have a lot of fun in the spring.

Guns are for Women and Wussies .......

( Man I've always wanted to say that to you .. ;) )

Looking foward to having fun.

You are right ... wussie-girl.

For some reason I feel the need to kill a bear every year. When I get over that, I'll probably bowhunt. Until then, the elk calves will be happier.

Dont get me wrong I love to spot and stock. I just got back from bear hunting and had a great time. I seen 9 bears in 3 days, but they were ether to far away to get to or to small for me. The thing is I would love to bait them to get a real monster. I think most people that bait dont take the small ones there is some people that do but they would do it no matter what. And as far as looking on FWP web site they dont tell you how many sows got shot with cubs :confused: I think if you had mor time to look at a bear the more you would know about it ;)

Cathunt.... You're right, Guys like me will shoot a bear every year... Big or Small......Although we're starting to pass on the 80#'s now. 100# or nothing ;) ;)

Sometimes we shoot 2 or 3 ;)

I think most people that bait dont take the small ones there is some people that do but they would do it no matter what.

Cathunt, tons of small bears are killed over bait. Without the bait, most of the hunters wouldn't have the opportunity in the first place.

If there was baiting allowed, how long do you think the quota in the Boulder/Stillwater area would be open, how many more hunters, and how many guided hunters that have never seen a live bear willing to shoot the first thing that comes in??

Do you know of any issues in MT with excessive harvest of sows with cubs.. or cubs?? It doesn't require bait to distinguish 1 or 2 year old bears from adults, those are cubs, especially 1yr olds.. football sized. I agree that more time watching a bear means you'll know better what you are shooting, know that all too well. Forget the bait though.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back