Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Spot and Stalk antelope.

YAH, Most don't know about the 300 win mag story, It's a local story... but I'm sure there is one in Every state.

I hear about guys shooting lopes all the time spot and stalk wit ha bow. I tried for a Few years and gave up, But thats bee years ago before I got all the patience I've obtained now, MAybe I could jsut go out and Get one real quick with a bow ;)

Moosie, did you draw a archery lope tag this year in Ida's-ho? If so, give that friend of mine Walt a jingle. He and his pards are 100% on archery antelope. With them you might have to sit in a blind though.

Im talking seeing antelope, Crawling up to them and Wacking them with a bow... OK, OSOK, I meant arrow, Before you even get started

Now that we fully understand the question... ;) 1 lope with a bow... Missed 2 Big ones (One absolute monster) the same year, and only year I've ever tried hunting them with one. It took me 11 tries, or days however you want to look at it, and a bunch of stalks to finally make it happen.

It's fun though, hoping to take my 2nd here in a couple weeks.

BigSky, the lopes are all over the Counter here in Idaho with a bow. I just never Buy a Lope tag anymore. this year with a Baby coming in Sept I probably won't buy one either..... But maybe, We'll see :)

Moosie, The very best way to kill an antelope with a bow is using a decoy during the rut. The rut starts here in montana around the 15th of September give or take a week. The only draw back to decoying is that alot of young bucks and doe's come to the decoy so you have to be a little patient and wait for the right opportunity.

I just purchased the Lightning Blind out of Cabelas in anticipation of setting up over a water hole. I figure my odds are way better hunting with my bow for antelope then waiting to draw a tag. 2 drawn tags in 16 years of applying!

Anyway, I was out scouting this morning and found my herd of goats. This being the second trip, my goal was to figure out where their water source is. I eventually did but also found out that it was on private property. Hopefully the farmer will give me permission to hunt but the rumor from the hired hands say my chances are slim.

Back to the decoy method. I don't know when Idaho lopes begin their rut but I can attest that the domination and pecking order (pre-rut) has already began. I was lucky enough to watch a buck this morning approach a herd buck and about 25 does. The herd buck had no part of it and ran the smaller buck off about 300 yards away from the ladies.

I drove around the corner with my FatCat and the buck turned and charged at me!! He must have thought the white FatCat was another buck. He quickly realized at about 100 yards that I wasn't another lope and rounded up his girls and vanished in the dust. Very cool!

I'm considering buying a decoy now rather than sitting in that blind for 14 hours in 100 degree weather!

Anybody have insight or input on antelope decoys?

bulldown

Bulldown, I have been involved in killing antelope with a bow lots and lots of times. We use a small buck decoy. I works very well.

You need to stalk within 300-400 yards of a herd then set up the decoy(Its always nice to find a herd that the herd buck is running off challengers). Most of the time this will generate many responses. I have had antelope ran at the decoy full speed (this is the most exciting), sometimes they will walk in slowly and cautiously always very courious.

There is a week in the middle of the rut where action is none stop and this week just depends on the antelope. If you are decoying during this week, antelope are real easy to kill with a bow. Hope this helps.

If you can get closer than 300-400 yards to set up results are always better. I have had antelope run out to 400 yards at my decoy

Good luck

this thread has been very helpful since I drew an archery antelope tag here in AZ... first ever antelope tag... and it's got to be an archery one... naaa no pressure. :D

cmc

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back