NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Speak up now, Missouri Breaks elk hunters

katqanna

Speak up now, Missouri Breaks elk hunters by Hal Herring

"Montanans who hunt the Missouri Breaks north of the river, including Hunting District 410, should understand one very important fact: For more than a year now, the Bureau of Land Management has been writing a Resource Management Plan that will outline what happens on these lands for the next 20 years...

So far, most Montana elk and mule deer hunters have chosen not to inform the BLM of their concerns, or to participate in the process, in any way. Those who don’t participate don’t get what they want, and they tend to lose what they have.

In the current draft of the Resource Management Plan written by the Lewistown Field Office of the BLM, there are no new plans or new mandates for conservation of these hunting lands. No concrete plans to retain the backcountry nature of even the most isolated and intact landscapes. No recognition of the fact that this is some of the world’s best publicly accessible elk hunting. In fact, in this RMP, hunting and other backcountry recreation has no recognition at all...

If you believe that the backcountry big game hunting in the Missouri Breaks is important enough to hold onto, now is the time to tell the Lewistown BLM. In 20 years, when and if a new Resource Management Plan is being drafted, it may well be too late. We’ll have nobody but ourselves to blame."

The link on the BLM page for the Lewistown RMP that was slated to begin FY2013 and be completed by FY2017 still does not work. I called BLM about that maybe a month, month and a half ago when I wanted to see what was transpiring on that front. I am checking with someone to see about that contact information for input.

Got the reply from Hal. The person to contact about our elk and deer hunting in the Breaks (410) is Dan Brunkhorst - Planning and Environmental Coordinator (406) 538-1981 [email protected].

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sinhba
Back