Soup/Chili companions

When eating chili and soups what is you're preferred side bread companion?

• Grilled cheese sandwich

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Peanut butter sandwich

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Corn bread

Votes: 35 53.8%
  • Biscuit

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Plain bread slice

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Depends on the main dish

Votes: 19 29.2%

• Total voters
Had some 'chili' in Hotchkiss, CO last elk hunt. It was lightly seasoned ground beef with tomato sauce, no taste trace of cumin or garlic, and a can of Ranch Style beans poured in...actually wasn't horrible but I was pretty hungry.
That’s definitely normal Midwest style chili, I want some flavor and some heat.

Beans have a place and I do like to whip up a good Michigan style pot when the weather’s cold. But living in NM for so long now has made me realize the full potential of chile peppers and my chili no longer needs beans.
You can really take it to a different level with those peppers, I bet it’s even better local

You can really take it to a different level with those peppers, I bet it’s even better local
To the visitors local chile is awesome. To the locals, we just reach for a second handful of ghost pepper chips to dip in the extra hot chile queso.

Tomato Soup = Grilled Cheese
Chile = Frito Chile pie; few Chitos, cheese, green onions. And we make our chile with fresh peppers, about a 2:1 ratio peppers to meat.
All other soups, either home made bread or Great Harvest.

Boy am I glad to see corn bread so far out in front. I'd have had a Michael Richards level freak out in here for anything less.

So no one else goes with cheesy garlic bread? I find that's the best all around universal option.

Also, bad biscuits are worse than no biscuits.

Cornbread is great for thick items, not thin.

For thin things you need soakers: bread and butter, crackers, crusty French bread, etc.

The school system I grew up in from K-12 served peanut butter and wonder bread sandwiches with chili.

Of course our chili was thin and had leftover spaghetti noodles in it. Spaghetti always proceeded chili by a day on the bi-weekly menu.

We called those PB and white bread sandwiches “Choke Sandwiches” because they were hard to swallow.
From Indiana also. Can confirm this is a real thing at school. PB also goes great with a can of ravioli

Chili: corn bread or buttermilk biscuits
Stew: buttermilk biscuits. Had that tonight.
Chicken soup: peanut butter samich
Tomato soup: peanut butter or grilled cheese
Chowder: hot dinner roles

Chili - cornbread
Tomato soup - grilled cheese
Most other soups - homemade bread or dinner rolls

I like to toss on some avocado and sliced jalapeno. My chili is pretty meaty so the only thing else I usually eat with it is cornbread when Im not cutting the carbs.

Soup is a sad meal in nearly all respects.

If it’s a chili hearty enough to be a real meal it needs lots of quality tortilla chips or corn bread. A crusty sour dough will also do.

All chili mist be quite spicy or it’s not worth the time. Including, most importantly, green chile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back