Sooner or Later......

I work in Hellgate canyon, and not three days before this happened I was having a conversation with a coworker about how bad of an idea I thought it was for them to graze there.

It's a shame. That herd is really struggling right now as is.

Oh jeez man, why don't they use goats to graze leafy spurge?
IMLE, it's a bit tough finding someone with enough goats to do the job. I found a guy in NE Utah to do a number on sagebrush with his goats, but not too many have 2K plus of the things.

Similarly, has their been any confirmation that goats won't pass on the diseases to bighorns? A quick google search showed some anectdotal evidence out of AZ that they can transmit some eye diseases. The use of pack goats is gaining in popularity and I think the goat packers ;) :D and the agencies need some science on this. Many groups/agencies lump sheep and goats together in their plans/recommendations and I'm curious as to if anyone's done the science.

IMLE, it's a bit tough finding someone with enough goats to do the job. I found a guy in NE Utah to do a number on sagebrush with his goats, but not too many have 2K plus of the things.

Similarly, has their been any confirmation that goats won't pass on the diseases to bighorns? A quick google search showed some anectdotal evidence out of AZ that they can transmit some eye diseases. The use of pack goats is gaining in popularity and I think the goat packers ;) :D and the agencies need some science on this. Many groups/agencies lump sheep and goats together in their plans/recommendations and I'm curious as to if anyone's done the science.

It's Missoula. There's bound to be a ton of goats around there. Hippies love goats.

Didn't Dennis Rehberg have some weed eating goat leasing for profit scheme back in the day?

On a positive note, I passed a nice bunch of rams (8 to 10)across the road from Angevine fishing access Saturday afternoon.

Last edited:
There is a big pack of goats working on the spurge at the fish-tech center just outside of town. Maybe I should start a rent-a-goat business. Too bad Mr. Lamb got married leaving limited options for off season use :).

I'm going to spray an isolated patch of LS for the USFS way the hell up by Baldy this week if anyone wants to sniff poison after a nice hike. I talked to someone yesterday who saw a black bear with a cub up there so counting mine there are at least three to make it interesting.

Goats are just as bad as domestic sheep, and there are plenty of rent-a-goat outfits out there. Last summer I was made aware of a community in CO that had hired a goat company for wildfire mitigation work, and had several hundred goats grazing within 2 miles of a bighorn sheep herd. I contacted CPW, and after checking into it they determined that the company was using fairly safe BMPs. It didn't make me feel much better, but it did inspire CPW to do some reeducation with the Front Range communities that have BHS in close proximity.

Does MT WSF engage in issues like this?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back