Caribou Gear

Sometimes you get what you need, not what you want

Corax

I think I take the prize for the smallest elk this season. This was the first time I had hunted elk in Wyoming, and the combination of being on my own, way back on a 2-track, and a forecast for a foot of snow had me pretty nervous. On the evening of the second day I was watching a clearing, when a group of cows came out just before dark. By the time I got squared away, and the elk were not standing in front of each other, I was looking at one elk in the scope. After the shot the elk had all disappeared and I was now looking at what appeared to be a large rock in the sagebrush! Obviously lots of ground shrinkage here, but I managed to get all the meat back to camp in 2 trips. By the time I got back to the blacktop it was raining hard, and we did get a foot of snow that night.

While I was cutting up the elk , I heard what sounded like a combination of growls and yelps close by – just outside the beam of my headlamp. This kept up for about an hour. I think it was a coyote, but when I came back for the second load in the morning, the carcass had not been touched.

Attachments

• DSC05930red.jpg
    DSC05930red.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 605
Might be one of the smaller elk of the season, as you said, but it will also be the best eating elk of the season. Congrats.

Elk steaks are far better than a humbling bowl of "tag soup".

Congrats.

You might have brought some chupacabras from Texas with you by the sounds of it. Glad for you getting out with success instead of being stuck in gumbo and snow for days. Yummy table fare for sure.

Any time my Dad has an antlerless elk tag, he always targets one of those ladies.

He loves that incredible eating so I say, "Nice job and congrats"!

That will eat super!! Probably got more off that than I did for 3 pronghorns and it was cheaper! Well done.

Back