someone stop me - planning an antelope hunt

WoodMoose

looking at going ahead and applying for an antelope tag in Wyoming to go with the (potential) deer and elk hunts I expect (hope?) I will draw,,,

was sad driving through an area that I had hunted three times (2003-2009 timeframe) and saw zero antelope in the area,, turns out they have again reduced the tags in that area by another 25% or so

but the area I am looking at going with my points has an increase in tags - so guess I will give it a go

good luck all in the draws

How much time ya got? Those are 3 very different hunts. Well deer, antelope is a good combo,but tossing in elk? Need some time

Seen a lot of guys get overwhelmed by to many NR tags and only a week or 2 off work. Can it be done yep, should it i dont think so but everyones different. If you have the points may want to save something for next season, already using up deer/elk points (if drawn) going to be a long time before you get back if you use them all.

How much time ya got? Those are 3 very different hunts. Well deer, antelope is a good combo,but tossing in elk? Need some time

I can work from wherever I am at and my Wife is good with it (still trying to figure that one out!!)

the hunts would get pulled off separately - all in different Areas

The first two are time limited (dates set) due to other participants, the antelope I'd work in either during bow season or rifle

plus I chase birds in between with my dogs (two drahthaars)

yeah, my life sucks :cool:

If I had the time and funds I would hunt as much as possible. I say go for it and enjoy the experience. Good luck and hope you punch all tags!

I would say go for it. But... be prepared to only draw one tag. I've been thinking about doing the same. I should draw my hunt by all rights of mathematics however when they decrease tag numbers in one unit and increase in another people change where they put in. Some good units get reduced and you'll likely get point creeped out. So if you put in for other tags be happy just getting to use that deer or elk tag. Just my 2 cents.

I would say go for it. But... be prepared to only draw one tag. I've been thinking about doing the same. I should draw my hunt by all rights of mathematics however when they decrease tag numbers in one unit and increase in another people change where they put in. Some good units get reduced and you'll likely get point creeped out. So if you put in for other tags be happy just getting to use that deer or elk tag. Just my 2 cents.

Most definitely - that’s sound reasoning

Your drahthaars would love Wyoming...

thanks - they love Montana so I know they will

they are part of the planning for the "where" on this antelope boondoggle (got to have some good bird action - and yes, "good" is a relative term I know)

looks like I am a go for this, reckon I'll spend most of Sept and Oct in Wyoming chasing stuff - hope you all don't kick me out!!

well, waited till now to make final decision

application submitted - should draw the area I submitted for (based on the fact I have 15 antelope points)

did draw the elk tag (woo-hoo!!)

deer is another I'm point sharing with folks (I have 16 points there as well)

so we will see if we have a Wyoming trifecta going this fall 🤞

Don’t go. ammo is to expensive

I know - and gas

that's why I am starting to walk out there starting 1 June
and while walking I will pick up the best "throwing rocks" I can find
then I'll lay in ambush at a water hole or other place - and try to knock one in the head

should work🤔

Good luck, we hunt antelope every year in WY. Share some pics..
@Commutair where are your shared pics? post them in “Antelope let’s see them”. Post some stories with pics etc. This site is so much better when folks make meaningful contributions instead of signing up to ask for help on a tag and then many vanish. Stick around and post up some pics and stories.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back