Caribou Gear

Soldier from Everywhere

phillips1717

I'm new on here. In fact, I've never done any forums before. I was born and reared in Tennessee, but I am in the Army. In the last eight years my wife, three kids, and I have lived in Arizona, Georgia, Alabama, Arizona, Texas, New Mexico, and back to Arizona again. 21 of those months I was in Iraq. I grew up hunting deer and turkey in TN. However, I recently drew an elk tag for Unit 34 in New Mexico and I am now addicted to elk hunting! I haven't even actually hunted them yet, but scouting and studying elk has changed the way I look at hunting completely. In 2 1/2 weeks I will taking my 2009 Bowtech Captain to the Sacramento Mountains in order to chase elk. Has anyone had any experiences they would like to share from the Cloudcroft/Unit 34/Sacramento Mountains/Lincoln National Forest areas? Or any elk hunting tips in general?

God Bless and Have a great day!

Derek

Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything. Genesis 9:3

34 is a great unit. I have applied for 30 years and cannot draw. Also my deer hunting unit. Enjoy the hunt. Lot of nice people in that area.

Thanks for your service!

Thanks Bobby. We lived in High Rolls for about a year. I have heard so many people tell me that they have put in for the draw for 20-30 years and never been drawn. I feel blessed to have drawn an archery tag for the area. I have a few places picked out so far, but I am not 100% sure how crowded the woods will be. I like to go where no one else is.

High Rolls used to have an awesome cherry festival. Did a couple of times and was never disappointed. Beautiful country. You must have been at Holloman, that is a long drive!

High Rolls used to have an awesome cherry festival. Did a couple of times and was never disappointed. Beautiful country. You must have been at Holloman, that is a long drive!

Actually..... I was at Fort Bliss so it was a much longer drive! However, I spent most of the time in Iraq........
And the Cherry and Apple Festivals were always great!

Hey Derek. Welcome and thanks for your service!. You're from my neck of the woods. What part of TN are you from? My brother and I have hunted the deer and turkey we have here since we were little and finally are planning our first elk hunt out west now.

Welcome Derek! I am a new member of this forum as well and I have found it to be a very good community. Thanks to you and your family for the sacrifices you all have made to serve our country. God bless!

Slim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fossil Ridge
Back