Soft Topper?

shannerdrake

Anyone have any experience with the soft cab-height toppers/caps? There are a few options out there between Bestop, Softopper, Outlander, Fas-top? I only need one for about 1-3 weeks a year.

I don’t like/want a hard top on my truck and don’t have a good storage space for one either. A soft topper is appealing because I can take it on and off by myself and hang on the garage wall.

I have a 2021 Silverado with a 6.5ft bed. Unfortunately, GM changed the bed dimensions halfway through 2019 and there is no cross-compatibility with other models or brands and the 6.5 bed is the exception and not the norm so the used market is small.

I have a Softopper for my 04 tacoma, and like it a lot. Easy to fold up and/or take off if needed. The plastic doesn't stay transparent very long, and sometimes the canvas seems to shrink a little in the cold, making it kind of hard to snap into place, but other than that no complaints.

I have a Softopper for my 04 tacoma, and like it a lot. Easy to fold up and/or take off if needed. The plastic doesn't stay transparent very long, and sometimes the canvas seems to shrink a little in the cold, making it kind of hard to snap into place, but other than that no complaints.
Agreed with this. I have a softopper. Super convenient and non committal if you still want to use the bed of the truck. I’ve slept in the back of mine and it kept me dry. It is hard to roll up when it’s cold and the windows will scratch easily. Also wish it was an inch or two taller. Also noticed it collects a lot of dust.

Thanks for the info guys!

Quick questions - do they do a reasonable job keeping stuff dry and keeping the dust out?

I've had mine close to 5 years and still keeps things dry. Haven't put any water proofing on the canvas or seems either, which I probably should do. They do a decent job keeping dust out, as long as all the sides are snapped down and the back flap is zipped up.

Just an fyi, Softopper sold to some other company a couple years ago and their customer service went in the toilet. My buddy had a hassle getting his, but it's cool and I'd still buy one, but be prepared for long wait times if it's not in stock.

Quick questions - do they do a reasonable job keeping stuff dry and keeping the dust out?
Dry yes. Dust, I don't really think so.

Just an fyi, Softopper sold to some other company a couple years ago and their customer service went in the toilet. My buddy had a hassle getting his, but it's cool and I'd still buy one, but be prepared for long wait times if it's not in stock.
This is extremely accurate. To the point of disgust.

I had a soft top on my old '73 K5 blazer full convertible. I know, it's not quite the same so many the truck guys can chime in. Only time I had water come in from rain was when I was driving over about 30 mph in the rain. It would seep in at the top of the door windows. I believe the bed toppers are a better seal, but when you're driving, I wonder how the front of it (against the cab) does keeping driving rain out??

Bummer to hear of Softopper. They started a great business line and seemed to be the pack leaders.

What a bummer.

+1 on softopper’s customer service being less than stellar but the toppers are still awesome. I have one on a 22 tundra and the convenience of being able to fully remove in 2-3 minutes is worth some of the hassles (like closing the tailgate) don’t expect too much help from dust if you are going to spend hours on dirt roads but it will keep your stuff dry. Pair with a decked system for dust free storage.

OP I agree with all the posters above. I won't repeat what they've said and just add two things:

1) Anecdote. I got my first Softopper this year about 6 months ago. Used from a Gen3 Tacoma but I've got a 2nd gen Frontier. It didn't quite fit right. I contacted support, told them the situation and even though I didn't purchase from them nor did I buy the right topper f or my truck they helped me piecemeal parts from a 2nd gen Tacoma to get it to fit well. In addition to that, look at their site. Every individual replacement part is available. Every screw, bar, pivot and piece of fabric. I. appreciate a product whose company stands behind it enough to provide replacement parts f or decades. I can't speak to their new ownership since I just now became an owner.

2) Your "2-3 weeks a year" comment. Taking the fabric on and off was tough the first time and I've gotten faster and faster since. It is no big deal after about the 4th or 5th time. However, if the times you want to put it on are cold -- let's say 50F and below -- it will be difficult. 30F and below it likely won't be possible. Keep that in mind. The warmer and sunnier it is the easier to snap it in place. If you are at home when you're going to mount it and it is freezing outside it would be simple as throwing it inside overnight.

Just something I thought you should know. I've had fiberglass toppers for years. I kept my previous one for 6 months during the tr gal period of the Softopper. I just sold it after deciding the Softopper is working great.

If your box is like mine, it’s not all on the topper.

Where my floor meets the sidewalk you can see daylight all the way around. Both my 2020 and my brand new 2023 F150 are that way.

That’s some “made in USA” pride right there.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back