MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Truck Toppers

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Seems like I have this bad habit of trading in trucks every year. More like ...... some companies make it easy for me to trade in trucks every year.

But, every time I trade, I think I will find a better topper, so I let the topper go with the truck. And, size and colors are never the same, so not sure what I would do with a silver long-bed topper on a different colored truck with a slightly shorter bed.

Anyhow, I have spent the last four months looking for a topper that I thought would be the best hunting topper out there. Based on my research and past experience with many manufacturers, I have found things I like about some of them, and things I dislike about some of them.

Any of you guys ever embarked on a serious research project for a topper? If so, I would love to hear about it.

I need an "above cab" model, as when we travel for a two or three episode trip, I look like the Beverly Hillbillys heading down the road. I need all the space I can get and the higher models help with that.

I need slider side windows, as often we have an quartered animal and need to get air flow to the quarters.

I need something real sturdy, but don't really want metal. Not sure there is a super-sturdy fiberglass model.

I need a tight seal on the back window, as I already get enough dust leaking in around the tailgate and would like to keep it less dusty, if possible.

Flimsy back door won't cut it. In the last four toppers, I have lost two back windows. That sucks when it happens.

Would also like a rack on top, but that is not necessary.

If you guys know of any great truck toppers, I would love to hear about it. I already have a major bumper upgrade thanks to the guys at Buckstop Truckware. Maybe I am unrealistic to think there is a topper of the quality that would equate to what you get with a Buckstop bumper.

Thanks for any ideas.

What's the new truck you"re going with Randy? Nissan Titan still? I remember you wanting the locking differentials.

Wish I had info on the toppers for you but I got nothing.

How long 'til you're driving a hotel on wheels like Lee and Tiffany have? If you do, I'll be the last to complain, especially in Kansas this December. :)

Last edited:
I have a cheap topper that I use and found a website that makes racks for toppers you can add on so that might help you there.

Though ugly, I think a metal commercial topper with a 'walk-in' door out the back would be the most practical. I'd think the higher structural strength would allow for more rack options.

If you went fiberglass I've seen more than one in SLC that has an external headache rack that looks like it would be loads better than those that mount to the fiberglass. Something like this:
xcaprack1-350.jpg

I've had a Leer for about 1.5 years now and am happy with it. I've got about the most basic model they make, but I think they offer all the options you are looking for. Mine takes a daily beating when I'm working.

I would suggest you get one with two handles on the back door, instead of a single handle in the middle. Also, if you want a rack on top, go with something like what 1_p posted. Ugly, but more durable.

Attachments

• Truck1small.jpg
    Truck1small.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,921
I never saw or found a topper that doesn't suck dust while traveling down a gravel road so I went anti topper a long time ago. Perhaps it is a bit like going "el natural" but I don't have the dust problems like I used to...just have to worry about rain.

Just be aware that toppers on your truck 'hide' things that you can back over if you leave them leaning up against the truck. Right Oak?? ;)

Randy I just think your new truck looks cool! The front grill guard and color are awesome. Maybe I'll by it from you when you upgrade next year;)

Back