SO Teepee Condensation

WIbiggame

Last year my hunting partner and I purchased the SO Redcliff tent. Its usually just him and I hunting. Last year we had another guy come with no condensation issue. Early September hunt. This fall just he and I mid September hunt, condensation was HORRIBLE!!!

We have a stove but haven't used it bc as mentioned in a previous thread seems to be more work than its worth.

My question is; is there anyway to stop this condensation or atleast mitigate it? Do the nests help?

I don’t have a SO but another brand. I have a three season inner for it and it will keep the condensation off whatever is in it but the tent will still be wet as hell inside without running the stove.

Now if the temps are cold or warm enough it’s not as bad but it seems that in the 30-45 degree nights it’s the worst.

Welcome to the world of a single wall tent. I learned that lesson the hard way on a camping trip with my wife and two dogs. She was not impressed it was raining outside and inside. The liners help a lot. Why not just take the stove especially if there's three of you? For three people it's definitely worth the weight penalty in my opinion.

Last year my hunting partner and I purchased the SO Redcliff tent. Its usually just him and I hunting. Last year we had another guy come with no condensation issue. Early September hunt. This fall just he and I mid September hunt, condensation was HORRIBLE!!!

We have a stove but haven't used it bc as mentioned in a previous thread seems to be more work than its worth.

My question is; is there anyway to stop this condensation or atleast mitigate it? Do the nests help?
I use my stove in my Cimmeron and 8 man. The 8 man I have a half liner and 0 condensation issues on the half with the liner. The other half anything over on that side gets dripped on. The stove is not intended to be an all night burn to keep you warm. Titanium cools very quickly so once your fire is out 0 heat. I have found if you can find rocks to place around the stove you will stay warmer longer as the rocks absorb heat. I love my SO tents but understand what they are and what they aren't. They are not a canvas wall tent. They are a lightweight hot tent that you should always rely on you sleeping bag rating to keep you comfortable. They will dry you out and keep you from being miserable.

Why not just take the stove especially if there's three of you?
Weight or space isn't an issue even with 2 of us. It was more of time getting enough wood to keep the fire burning. Will consider taking the stove. But would we need to keep it burning to eliminate the condensation throughout the night?

They are a lightweight hot tent that you should always rely on you sleeping bag rating to keep you comfortable.
We stayed warm enough was just getting rained on inside the tent when the wind was blowing. Was weird it didn't happen last year (22).

Thanks for replies so far greatly appreciated
Now if the temps are cold or warm enough it’s not as bad but it seems that in the 30-45 degree nights it’s the worst.
This makes sense as these where the temps this year. Last year was warmer than got colder no middle ground.

Don’t breath so much

I have a cimarron and from my experience it is very weather and campsite dependent. If you pitch it high with a gap under the edge that helps a lot. Picking a high spot with good air flow amongst trees also seemed to help. Worst spot is an open area in a low spot near s water source on a calm night. If it is very cold and snowy you should bring the stove and a folding saw. The stove turns a cold, damp night into a relaxing evening.

Weight or space isn't an issue even with 2 of us. It was more of time getting enough wood to keep the fire burning. Will consider taking the stove. But would we need to keep it burning to eliminate the condensation throughout the night?

We stayed warm enough was just getting rained on inside the tent when the wind was blowing. Was weird it didn't happen last year (22).

Thanks for replies so far greatly appreciated

This makes sense as these where the temps this year. Last year was warmer than got colder no middle ground.
Yes you would have to keep a fire going to keep the condensation down. A full liner will solve the problem.

Yep condensation will sprinkle down when the wind makes your tent flap. Again full liner problem solved.

If weight isn't a concern, as in camping at the truck, consider a vented propane stove rather than wood. My Nu-Way keeps the tent dry as a bone.

We have a stove but haven't used it

First off, use what you have.

Secondly, don't let others failures or ineptitudes cause you not.

Third, a stove takes but an hour or two of wood gathering for a decent stockpile for a night or two, pending campfire and stove, softwood vs hardwood. Two guys...hour tops.

Go be a kid in your backyard, my 4 and 6 year old can work my stove.

A wood stove will definitely help but your breath will still condensate the tent once the fire is out. It used to bug me a lot but I eventually just got over it, never had water drip on me. I just bring a microfiber towel and make sure I vent the top as much as I can (I use an Argali Absaroka).

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back