Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Snow or no snow ?

Rooster52

Who likes elk hunting in the snow ?
This year I am planning an archery elk hunt ,nicer weather and hope for no snow.The older I get ,the more I hate hunting in the snow .

The older I get, the less I like snow, also. But, I like to hunt elk, whenever the chance allows. If rifle hunting, I would prefer snow, even if it causes temporary discomfort for a guy getting soft in my old age. Having grown up in Northern MN, I am one of those lucky guys who seldom gets cold. Can't remember the last time I had cold feet. Given that, snow causes me more inconvenience than cold, but snow sure improves the elk hunting.

I've always held my target age for bakcpack hunting elk to be 65. After packing out three of them this year and having turned 50 last month, I hope I am not being too optimistic with my target age, snow or no snow.

Taking an elk out on a sled on snow is sooooooo much easier than on your back.

I am going on 63 and I think your target age of 65 is a good stopping point. Elk hunting is a lot of work. A couple more years and I am going to let the elk hunting to the younger hunters. There is plenty to do rather than kill yourself packing out an elk.

I'm pretty much in Big Fin's camp on this one. I like the increased movement and spotability of elk in the snow, but I'm not a big fan of the headaches it can cause. I'm sorta of a Goldilocks when it comes to snow. Not too much and not too little... ;)

Having bowhunted with snow in 2013, I don't like it.

The ONLY good thing was identifying tracks/ or lack there of, to tell me it was ok to move lower!

It's so much easier to drag out elk in the snow as long as it's not too deep. They are also very easy to spot, almost as easy as the yellow hide when there is no snow.

No snow is good snow. In this country Oct. snow is to warm and very noisy, almost impossible to still hunt in. Give me rain!

Tracking dark timber elk in good snow is one of the greatest delights in hunting, IMO. Of course, sitting in the cool September breeze on a sunny mountain meadow and listening to bulls bugle is nice too. The two best times to hunt elk is when it is snowy and when it is not snowy.

I've always held my target age for bakcpack hunting elk to be 65. After packing out three of them this year and having turned 50 last month, I hope I am not being too optimistic with my target age, snow or no snow.

Its not as much age as it is all about terrain choice, younger hunters along as packers, and proper sleeping quarters!

I am 62 years old, and hope I have at-least 6 or 8 more years left to Elk hunt, I only get to Rifle hunt, and don't mind a little snow, but on years that it is 2' deep that sucks.
but I think in a couple of more years, younger hunting partners will be helpful. lol

Kevin

This is my partner walking back to get the sleds after getting two elk. Luckily the area out of the trees was windswept. Sure was quiet :D

Attachments

• s IMG_0146.jpg
    s IMG_0146.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 215
I'm with Ben Long on elk hunting in the snow and timber during the rifle seasons. I feel like I miss out on my favorite time to be in the mountains if I get an elk in the early season. I used a ice fishing sled to bring out this bull in one trip. It was a high of 3 degrees on Nov 14th this fall

Attachments

• 20141114_101307.jpg
    20141114_101307.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 201

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back