Shouldn't the NC2A pay "student athletes"

Here's my 2¢ on this subject, which I've been thinking about for quite a while:

1. Scholarship athletes are already paid in the form of a scholarship, which (in most cases) includes tuition, books, housing and meals. If you really do the math, you can extrapolate pretty quickly that it adds up pretty quickly.
2. Consider FBS football programs carry as many as 85 scholarship players - many athletes never even play but still get their scholarship. If you pay players, do you pay them all the same? How would that be fair?
3. Most universities only make a profit on football and basketball; some not at all. Who will foot the bill for athletes who run track, play baseball, wrestle and the dozens of other sports? Hint: right now it's a redistribution of football revenue.
4. Get rid of the non-revenue producing sports? Ever heard of Title IX? Get rid of women's scholarships and you also have to cut men's. Not to leave out, cutting non-revenue sports flies in the face of what college athletics is supposed to be all about.
5. Anyone who argues that the ncaa is a minor league for the NFL and NBA has never looked at the statistics for how many players make it from college to those leagues and has never been involved with minor league baseball. That's a real minor league and if you ever spent time with a small time ballclub, you'd thank your lucky stars to get it anywhere near as good as college athletes have it.
6. Pretty sure they're all playing of their own volition. Don't like the deal? Don't play.

I think improvements need to be made on medical care and some of the ncaa absurdity but paying players opens a can of worms that will end - completely - college athletics. Football likely won't even be played at any level in another 20+ years unless a dramatic revelation is discovered on eliminating concussions, but that's another discussion.

From the NBA side of things, a high school senior can get paid immediately out of high school by going overseas or (I believe) the NBA Developmental League until they meet the age requirements. I'm guessing on this one, but I'd assume football players have the same option with the Canadian Football League, arena football league or a similar 2nd tier league. There are options out there for the kids who really think they should be paid in a paycheck vs college tuition.
Or they could pay college loans for 30 years like me and many others in the same situation. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I don't extend my sympathies to those scholarship athletes getting a full ride but feel the need to get paid additional money.

A quick question..................How much revenue,other than their own tuition does the average student ( you know the one with 30 years of loan payments) generate for a School?

A quick question..................How much revenue,other than their own tuition does the average student ( you know the one with 30 years of loan payments) generate for a School?

Actually, many departments spending fewer resources make universities boatloads of money in the way of public-private partnerships and research/development ventures. Most of the big developments in energy, medicine and materials are generated within universities.

True but isn't most of those monies tied directly to the research subject and the Dept. and not the Students?
Of the untold Millions of research dollars that rolled into Texas A&M last year how many where based on the fact that Student X was a part of the program? Then ask, of the millions that flowed into the athletic program down there, how much was based on the fact that one "Johnny Football'' was on campus?

As someone mentioned, there are financial gains for universities from students off the athletic fields. I don't know how often, but I'm guessing it's a "strike it rich" thing when it does happen.

Honest question; not being snarky: how much of that football/basketball revenue goes back into the general fund vs paying for athletic expenses? You mentioned yourself that the athletic deptartmets fund scholarships. I can't imagine there would be that much left after taking care of all of the non-revenue generating sports scholarships, paying coaches millions of $, keeping facilities up-to-date, etc. I could be way off though.

As someone mentioned, there are financial gains for universities from students off the athletic fields. I don't know how often, but I'm guessing it's a "strike it rich" thing when it does happen.

Honest question; not being snarky: how much of that football/basketball revenue goes back into the general fund vs paying for athletic expenses? You mentioned yourself that the athletic deptartmets fund scholarships. I can't imagine there would be that much left after taking care of all of the non-revenue generating sports scholarships, paying coaches millions of $, keeping facilities up-to-date, etc. I could be way off though.

Every school is different. I know that sounds like a cop out but I believe it to be true.
The School that I'm most familiar with goes something like this. 360 scholarship athletes being payed for by 2 revenue producing and one revenue neutral sport(Football, Mens Basketball,Baseball). Basically there's around 260 full or partial scholarship athletes whose scholarship,coaching,facilities,travel, are paid for at least in part by the big 3. I've seen studies that show what a boon that athletic dept's. are to schools. The amount of money that the top flight schools( not athletic dept's.) put into athletics is returned to them many times over in publicity,student recruitment,donorships.
Ask yourself this, if there wasn't an upside(money) why are even the smallest schools in the game?

College athletes are paid. Its called a scholarship. Also, the college gives them an avenue to develop their athletic talents into a possible professional career. If they need cash I'd say look into joining a minor league team. Then they will see what their talents alone are really worth. 99% of college athletes don't go on to play professionally so I'd say that whole scholarship thing is a pretty damn good deal. No one's forcing them to play collegiate sports.

Pretty much this. It's also a fact that too many of said 99% either poorly matriculate or do not graduate.

I am talking NCAA monies
http://www.indystar.com/story/news/...ion-per-year-amid-challenges-players/6973767/

I believe universities make a little but a lot is tied up in expenses.

Kellen Moore just spent 4 years building funds for Boise state university to renovate its facilities. He is finally getting paid by doing local car lot adds..

Why can they not let players take advertising $ ??? The nc2a and universities take every penny offered. What's good for the goose...

Im guessing under federal law if you pay a football player, you probably have to pay a volleyball player too. Some title IX stuff would come up.

Im guessing under federal law if you pay a football player, you probably have to pay a volleyball player too. Some title IX stuff would come up.
Might also put in jeopardy their amateur athlete status as currently defined. This is why guys who wash out of the minors in baseball can come back to play sports, just not baseball. IMO, paying college athletes will ruin college sports.

Regarding them getting a degree or an education, that is up to the individual whether they play a sport or not. Hell, I know plenty of folks who ended up with a degree they don't use or didn't need. That's on them, not the university. If they don't want to take advantage of it, so be it. Just like the rest of those going to college. However, I still say money spent on education is not wasted...

True but isn't most of those monies tied directly to the research subject and the Dept. and not the Students?
Of the untold Millions of research dollars that rolled into Texas A&M last year how many where based on the fact that Student X was a part of the program? Then ask, of the millions that flowed into the athletic program down there, how much was based on the fact that one "Johnny Football'' was on campus?
http://deadspin.com/texas-a-m-raised-a-record-740-million-in-donations-las-1334527524/all

Two of the biggest money makers for the NCAA is football and basketball. The NFL doesn't have a "minor league"...it's called college. The NBA wants the same type of deal...using college for a minor league program. I can't think of another scholarship program that doesn't allow you to have a full time job if you want one. I also can't think of a scholarship program (except athletics) that you can't make money and still retain the scholarship.

The majority of NCAA income is from the NCAA Basketball tournament. The income from FB is primarily kept by the conferences and schools.

The majority of NCAA income is from the NCAA Basketball tournament. The income from FB is primarily kept by the conferences and schools.

Are you certain roadhunter? NCAA income is from everywhere - not sure what brings in the most, would think the HUGE NETWORK deals made/make them big money ie the BIG12NETWORK, PAC12 NETWORK, for example generate some huge monies?

I believe march madness make's over 800 million in PROFIT a year for the ncaa!

Edit: it looks like its over 800 million in total revenue not profit.

Last edited:
Are you certain roadhunter? NCAA income is from everywhere - not sure what brings in the most, would think the HUGE NETWORK deals made/make them big money ie the BIG12NETWORK, PAC12 NETWORK, for example generate some huge monies?

Yes. See below. Approximately 75% of income is from the NCAA BB tournament. Football makes the conferences/schools money, Basketball makes the NCAA money.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...a-expenses-revenue-money-mark-emmert/6651133/

The NCAA had nearly $913 million in total revenue in fiscal 2013, according to the statement. It had a little more than $852 million in total expenses, including a record $527.4 million distributed to Division I schools and conferences.

Of the NCAA's 2013 revenue, $681 million came from the multimedia and marketing rights agreement with CBS and Turner Broadcasting that primarily is connected to the Division I men's basketball tournament, the statement said.

The conference networks have nothing to do with the NCAA. They are owned by the conferences and TV partners.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back