Shouldn't the NC2A pay "student athletes"

Elkmagnet

I just watched the documentary - Schooled: The price of college sports. on
netflix.
I learned a few things on a subject that has always made my blood boil. Its a good time killer for anyone who likes college sports. It explains how the NCAA has become the governing body of college sports. Although it may be a bit one sided I have trouble seeing the other side myself.
Does anyone have an argument against paying at least a small salary? Yeah loaded question.

College athletes are paid. Its called a scholarship. Also, the college gives them an avenue to develop their athletic talents into a possible professional career. If they need cash I'd say look into joining a minor league team. Then they will see what their talents alone are really worth. 99% of college athletes don't go on to play professionally so I'd say that whole scholarship thing is a pretty damn good deal. No one's forcing them to play collegiate sports.

Correct - atheltes are paid via scholarship. Memories, not money is to be made. College is an institution - not a whore house. Idea for these idiots : NCAA should take revenues, and reduce tuition across the board - make college affordable, and these revenue generating sports can subsidze tuition, room and board and get our collective priorities right here.

So if I am the best highschool basketball player in the nation this year I should just join the NBA so I can play next year?

Just because college athletes get a degree does not mean that they get an education those are two very different things.

For those that feel they need to be paid, that's cool. If paid to play, I feel they should forfeit any scholarship, give it to someone else. With the cost of college, they're paid pretty dang well.

NCAA should take revenues, and reduce tuition across the board - make college affordable, and these revenue generating sports can subsidze tuition, room and board and get our collective priorities right here.

Almost every kid going to school on a Golfing,swimming,tennis,diving,soccer,lacrosse,track,baseball,softball Etc. scholarship is having their tuition subsidized by the revenue positive sports.

I don't support cash payouts to athletes but their scholarships should cover all cost of attendance. I would also support full payment of any post graduate work they undertook for life,especially if they had played in a revenue producing sport.

Two of the biggest money makers for the NCAA is football and basketball. The NFL doesn't have a "minor league"...it's called college. The NBA wants the same type of deal...using college for a minor league program. I can't think of another scholarship program that doesn't allow you to have a full time job if you want one. I also can't think of a scholarship program (except athletics) that you can't make money and still retain the scholarship.

I don't know about you but if the NCAA pimps my likeness on a football video game for $59.99 a game and I see no profit I am going to be mad if I can't afford food that night.
It is acknowledged by most colleges that the cost of attending for one year is higher than the amount paid for one year scholarship.

How about selling DVDs of a bowl game and not paying the players. How is that any different than selling movies and not paying the actors? The actors received experience acting is that how you payed them?

If I played in the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl this year and afterwards Tostitos gave me a free bag of chips I'd receive a reprimand of some sort from the NCAA. I guess they can't share the chips with the "student athletes".

Last edited:
Some of your comments have forced me to re-evaluate my opinion. I now support the liberation of these poor college athlete slaves from the oppressive NCAA regime. For too long has the NCAA kept their athletes in shackles, barring them from the vast fortunes they are entitled. A scholarship earns what? A worthless piece of paper called a "degree"? This is as foolhardy of a proposition as I have ever heard... Now I only wonder how these football players grow so large eating only days-old bread and cabbage stew?

Ummm cabagge?
A degree is worthless without an education. Imo

Many times in a college sports environment education takes a back seat to (staying eligible to play) and winning. At which point you are robbing the athlete of their "pay".

What about walk ons? Did someone force them to walk on? They knew the deal when they signed up. Colleges are educational institutions. Not warm up stages for the NBA and NFL. If they don't think they're getting enough in return they should probably take their talents elsewhere

You are wrong...it is definitely a warm up stage for the NBA as well as the NFL. You can't enter the NFL draft until you have spent 2 years in college...problem is you risk injury in those two years. Right now the NBA allows high school graduates to enter the NBA but that is something they want to change and the NCAA wants to also. If college isn't a warm up for the nfl (and nba) then why are there so many draft picks taken directly from college? Why isn't there a "minor league" for either of these programs like there is in baseball?

So you are saying that college is not meant for education primarily ? Rather it is a warm up stage for the nfl and nba? Show me an nfl rule that says they must attend college. The nfl only requires the player be 3 years out of high school. The rule says nothing about college. Google it... you are wrong.

Soooo how many players are drafted three plus years after playing in an actual football game??? They corner them into making money for the 2A first.

hearteater;235684 Show me an nfl rule that says they must attend college. The nfl only requires the player be 3 years out of high school. The rule says nothing about college. Google it... you are wrong.[/QUOTE said:
You are correct Sir. Would you care to post up an example or two of players who didn't play football after High school and then made it in the NFL.

Just so we are clear. You guys realize that athletic scholarships are paid by the athletic dept. and not the College itself. Since the athletic dept's are footing the bill for these Student athletes, it's only logical they they want a bigger piece of the pie,they are helping to create.

But he had 4 years of college basketball experience...still went to college.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back