Shotgun Rear Safety Location

Runnin_Chupacabra

I'm looking at moving up from my pump Benelli Nova to a Black Eagle or some other sort of semi auto, but noticed some of the shotguns have the safety on the back part of the trigger guard rather than traditionally on the front of the trigger guard. Small thing to get used to or one of those things that becomes annoying?

After shooting a mossberg for 5 years exclusively, I get tripped up by my 870 safety.

Personally I hate the safety on the trigger.

Guess it depends on what you grew up shooting. Remingtons (870 & 1100) all have the safety behind the trigger, but like above the tang option is nice if available!

Guess it depends on what you grew up shooting. Remingtons (870 & 1100) all have the safety behind the trigger, but like above the tang option is nice if available!
Everything I've shot my whole life has had the safety in front. Shot a tang once but can see how they can pretty cool! Good thing to look for that I wasn't before (if I can find them!).

I think you get used to them pretty quick. I have rifles and shotguns with all different manner of safeties and it's pretty seamless with some practice.
Yep. I can switch from the tang safety on my Browning to the trigger guard safety on my 870 with no problem, just takes enough practice.

I think with a little bit of practice you can get used to just about any safety. I had never shot a Mossberg style rear tang safety until recently, having grown up on 870's and Model 12's, and after just a few clays I was used to the rear tang style. But I have a Glenfield Model 25 bolt action rifle in .22 LR that's got the damnednest safety I've ever seen. The safety has the standard position on the right side of the bolt, but you pull it toward you to move it from safe to fire which makes it the exact opposite of every safety I've ever seen on a rifle. Needless to say, it's not exactly a safe set up but I'm kind of fond of it.

I think with a little bit of practice you can get used to just about any safety. I had never shot a Mossberg style rear tang safety until recently, having grown up on 870's and Model 12's, and after just a few clays I was used to the rear tang style. But I have a Glenfield Model 25 bolt action rifle in .22 LR that's got the damnednest safety I've ever seen. The safety has the standard position on the right side of the bolt, but you pull it toward you to move it from safe to fire which makes it the exact opposite of every safety I've ever seen on a rifle. Needless to say, it's not exactly a safe set up but I'm kind of fond of it.
That's wild, a reverse safety like that would trip me up bad. Never seen one like that. Does it still have paint visible to show red for fire?

I think you’ll quickly get use to whatever you choose. I’ve shot a mix bag of safety styles on a right handed guns and shoot left handed. Can’t say I’ve ever had a shot delayed due to a trip up on trying to turn the safety off.

I'm looking at moving up from my pump Benelli Nova to a Black Eagle or some other sort of semi auto, but noticed some of the shotguns have the safety on the back part of the trigger guard rather than traditionally on the front of the trigger guard. Small thing to get used to or one of those things that becomes annoying?
You will get used to it, I would worry much more about fit and function than the safety. Making sure the comb drop and length of pull are correct are most important. This is much easier with shotguns that you can shim the stock, such as the super black eagle. I bought the SBE 11 years ago, no regrets, wonderful gun.

Thing I like best about tang safeties is that they are ambidextrous. My youngest decided she has a left dominant eye. Pretty hard to flick off the safety on a surprise flush on her 870 when she's holding it Left handed. Now that I think about it my first rifle and first shotgun were both Hammer guns too...

Dad had a hunting guide friend who was called in by a fellow PH who was was sick (malaria?) to take out his client. The client had shot a buffalo and the tracking commenced. At the charge of the already wounded Cape buffalo, the borrowed rifle‘s safety was not what he was accustomed to handling. The first hit threw him high into the air, and on his descent he was able to put the safety into “fire” position. His subsequent shot at point blank range (underneath the bull) was a finishing shot, with the buffalo‘s spine was taken out with the neck shot. The client and the trackers had to roll the buffalo off of the PH. His open fractured femur subsequently healed and he was able to resume guiding.

I can up over the decades shooting a 1100 then 1187. My first bolt rifle was a ruger tang safety. So what ever firearm Im shooting I am always looking for the safety on the tang. Old habits die hard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CZ452Scout
Back