Shooting sticks?

Wyoming Sage

I have a walking/shooting stick that is a single and I can use it O.K. but I was wondering if a double legged or three legged stick would be better? I guess I am just wondering if it would be worth the amount of money for what you get. Out here you don't always have a steady rest, heck some places it's miles to the nearest tree. I am looking at a tri-pod type or double that would be able to use in the my ground blind and in open land, I also wonder about hiking as that is sometimes miles at a time. The guys here in town I know that hunt, laughed at the old guy when I asked about this. Course the nearest one is 24 years younger than me, little punks anyway..

I almost always have a pair of collapsible shooting sticks with me. I use the jointed ones from Stoney Point. They work great IME for steadying a sitting/kneeling shot. However, they are not sturdy enough to be used as a hiking stick. For those I use Leki's. What ever brand you buy, get the flip locks and you can thank me later! ;) Much more convenient than twist locks. Some folks use this as shooting sticks. This can be done a couple of ways. 1. use your hands to hold them in an X and 2. loop the wrist straps over the other pole and they will support themselves in an X.

I have used attached bipods and shooting sticks. I now have a three-legged Bogpod and I think that it is the best. Three legs are much more stable for shooting.

I have used attached bipods and shooting sticks. I now have a three-legged Bogpod and I think that it is the best. Three legs are much more stable for shooting.

As a "seasoned" hunter (old and gimped up), I researched and tried most of the shooting rest systems. I have settled on the Bog-Pod CLD:

http://www.boggear.com/tripods/cld_tripod.html

It works great as a rest, although I prefer to use the narrow pad that comes with it, the larger pads and rests really hindered it's use as a walking stick. I would advise that you shoot a lot of rounds over the off season as the use of a stick, bi-pod, or tri-pod is not a natural feeling thing.

Also, if you are going to shoot longer ranges you will notice a lot of movement the higher you are from the ground.

I still prefer shooting in the prone position using a short gun mounted bi-pod or resting on a pack, etc. for maximum stability.

Another vote for the bog-pod tripod model. Very handy when antelope hunting. I wouldn't use as hiking sticks though.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back