MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Sell or Send back first?

WVgoodguy22

I have a Savage Model 110 Long Range Hunter in 300 WSM that I bought new in 2019 mostly as a compliment to my late 90s Savage M110 270 Win LH wood 🪵 stock rifle. Something that I could use out west with confidence on any of the species from moose 🫎 if I could ever afford to apply and get lucky 🍀, but most for a possible elk hunt or big mule deer 🦌 or whitetail hunt in any state where legal, and black bear 🐻 too even though I know that the 270 Win can take them all with the right bullet in the right place. Just something else fun to also load for and try out along with the 270 Win that my Dad bought for me as a teenager.
Anyway I did compromise and go with a right hand rifle even though both my Dad and I are cross dominant shooters. It’s a little bit heavier gun at 8.4 lbs bare which is only maybe a pound heavier than what I’m use to. I did get my first two whitetail bucks in the big woods of West Virginia with it at 25 and 50 yards respectively. That one at 25 yards actually charged at me sitting on the ground back against a tree 🌳and I freaked out and instead of using my right hand to rack another round in I reached across the rifle with my left hand and thankfully scared the deer to run a different way and die. That incident has stuck with me since.
So that has me thinking that even though I need to train more that I should get a left handed replacement in possibly the same cartridge which is hard to find especially if I want to try something outside of Savage since all three of my rifles are Savage. I also am thinking 🤔 either 300 WM which would be easier to find ammo for, although my Dad has a 300 WM and so does one of my brothers, or the 7 PRC (yes I am aware that there’s a huge hype train 🚂behind this cartridge, but I recognize what the cartridge is) or the old 7 RM or 280 AI.
The other reason why I am thinking 🤔 about selling the rifle is that it is supposed to have an adjustable muzzle brake that I can turn on or off, but it’s stuck in the on position and it has really hurt 😞 my ears 👂 since both of my shots were very close range and I didn’t have time to put in ear protection. So I kind of want a rifle that is threaded for an eventual suppressor, and this one is a pain in the butt to spin off. We have even tried multiple tools 🛠️ to turn the brake off but no luck 🍀.
So that is why I am asking if I should send it back to Savage and hopefully 🤞🏻 they fix it or possibly replace with their Timberline or Ultralight series or rifles in LH 300 WSM since I have the reloading kit for it and factory ammo and maybe sell it or have the barrel cut down and threaded if they just send back my rifle instead of a model replacement. Or if I should skip sending it back to Savage and then sell it and either try to do a Tikka T3X Lite in LH 300 WSM then get it threaded or build my own Tikka or buy the Tikka T3X Wideland or Alpine in 300 Win Mag or wait till the new Bergara B14 Sierra Wilderness in LH 7 PRC or 300 WM comes out.
I am not sure if someone will buy my rifle with the muzzle brake stuck in the on position and near impossible to spin off or if I should send it in to Savage and wait for them to potentially fix it then sell it?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Forrest

Attachments

• IMG_1442.jpeg
    IMG_1442.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1386.jpeg
    IMG_1386.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0995.jpeg
    IMG_0995.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 32
1) Clean the brake. It's probably go all sorts of crap in it (gunky lube and powder fouling). Maybe even give it bit of torch to warm it up. Savage won't replace the rifle just because the brake is stuck open (not that you would have had time to close it with deer that close). They'll either have you send it in or send you a new brake. Savage is notorious for using odd thread pitches so make sure it's a common thread pitch or one you can get an adapter for if you want a suppressor. Savage rifles have shitty resale value so plan on taking a huge hit selling or trading.

2) that 270 will do 100% and then some of what you need and will ever want even with the whitetail bullets you're using. That being said if feel the need to have a 300WSM get a rifle that fits you and functions as you need it to even if you have to spend more for a lefty.

Have you tried cleaning the brake? I imagine some carbon buildup is stopping it from moving.
I have cleaned out the barrel but not the brake specifically. We did try to use a carbon buster and let it soak for a long time and turn it with no luck 🍀.

P.s. theres nothing wrong with savage. Great rifles.
I don’t dislike Savage at all even though my A17 is a single shot instead of a semi automatic, even after getting a new mag, cleaning it and using the appropriate ammo.
There’s two lefties in Savage that I would like. That being the Timberline or Ultralight.
I just wanted to try something different like a Tikka.

Forrest,
You still haven't gotten that brake off yet???
Nope sadly not. With being a newly married man and a recent (Sept 23) home owner amongst other things I haven’t gotten around to either trying round two of trying to get that brake off, have a gunsmith do it or even chop and rethreaded, or sent back to Savage, or sold and use that money 💰 for a lefty in either something that starts with 7 or 30 (whether bought or built).
Oh I have sent you a couple texts this year to see how your hunting season and such went.

1) Clean the brake. It's probably go all sorts of crap in it (gunky lube and powder fouling). Maybe even give it bit of torch to warm it up. Savage won't replace the rifle just because the brake is stuck open (not that you would have had time to close it with deer that close). They'll either have you send it in or send you a new brake. Savage is notorious for using odd thread pitches so make sure it's a common thread pitch or one you can get an adapter for if you want a suppressor. Savage rifles have shitty resale value so plan on taking a huge hit selling or trading.

2) that 270 will do 100% and then some of what you need and will ever want even with the whitetail bullets you're using. That being said if feel the need to have a 300WSM get a rifle that fits you and functions as you need it to even if you have to spend more for a lefty.
I could try that again we did soak it with a carbon buster before for hours and try and turn it.
I didn’t figure they would send me a new rifle and that was just a dream 💭.
Depending upon if I were going to go with a different cartridge or not I also would sell the reloading supplies and ammo if I went away from the 300 WSM. Yeah newer Savages especially won’t resell well even if they are really good shooters.
The 270 Win is a great lighter recoiling cartridge and with the right bullet at reasonable distances can take an elk, I just would prefer a larger cartridge to have a better chance of anchoring a bull elk in a wider variety of scenarios. Although I doubt that I do a ton of elk hunting and if I do I might mix in archery 🏹 and muzzleloader.
I have thought about getting a lighter stock for my 270, like something from Stocky’s.

Sell and put the money towards going hunting.
That’s definitely a good idea as well especially since tags 🏷️, licenses and ammo are not cheap.
I applied for a muzzleloader hunt in Utah that I should draw so I won’t need the rifle for at least a year.

Some companies, SW M&P 22 birdcage comes to mind, use a type of thread locker on the threads, heat is the only way to free it up. My vote is torch but I like playing with fire..
Some threadlockers only release by boiling in water, like Rocksett. You'd have to get it over 2k degrees to break the bond with a torch.

a 7mm or 300 isnt going to reliably anchor an elk on lung shots anyway and i think deliberately aiming away from the center of vitals to try to anchor one is a bad idea most of the time. A 270 isn't a handicap that requires special bullets or reduced ranges for 98% of hunter's capabilities.

I don’t use right handed bolt guns anymore. In this day and age, I just don’t see a reason why we LH shooters should settle for gear that isn’t as well suited as it could be. The downside, of course, is there’s lots of very cool models that are still RH only 😡.

I’ve been very pleased with my LH Savage 11 “trophy hunter” 308. Only thing I dislike is the stupid magazine, I wish it was an internal mag rather than the flimsy plastic removable one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back