Sell me on some rings

wtrfwlhunter

Just purchased a Tikka T3x Roughtech Ember in .300 win. mag, going to top it with a Leupold vx3i 4.5x14 40 mm objective.

Anyone on here got an opinion on what rings should go on this thing? I have zero faith in the opinion of people behind the gun counter around here. Reading online I’m seeing good things about DNZ rings and Sportsmatch.

Last edited:
On my Tikka I tried a rail first. Just sat too high. Then I waited for a set of Sportmatch. Wasn’t super impressed with them while installing them, so I didn’t. Went with Talley’s and they’re doing the job.

I was wondering the same thing. For a 40mm scope I was thinking a picatinny rail with the integrated post (recoil lug) on the bottom that fits into the hole on top of the receiver, then use low rings.

For integrated rings/bases, Warne also makes those like Talley's, fit directly onto the receiver rail, but I know the Warnes have the recoil lug to fit into the receiver. I don't know if Talley's do. I have a set of Leupold integrated 30mm rings/bases, and they don't have a recoil lug.

Since Tikkas are so light, with a 300 win mag you may want to consider getting something with a recoil lug.

Last edited:
Since Tikkas are so light, with a 300 win mag you may want to consider getting something with a recoil lug
Are you talking about a recoil "pin" vs. a "lug"? I know Warne makes a Tikka dovetail mount used with their rings that are fit with a "recoil pin". The Tikka rifles have a steel recoil lug from the factory.

Are you talking about a recoil "pin" vs. a "lug"? I know Warne makes a Tikka dovetail mount used with their rings that are fit with a "recoil lug". The Tikka rifles have a steel recoil lug from the factory.

Sorry, recoil lug sounded like I was talking about the stock. I meant the little post on the bottom of some mounts/bases/picatinny rails, that fit into the one hole on top of the receiver. I got the verbiage from the Mountain Tactical website talking about their picatinny rails:

"The recoil lug is now machined into the rail as one integral system.... This recoil lug absorbs the shearing forces of the mount under recoil instead of the four tiny screws included in most other mounting systems."

Haven't used one, however.

The rifle is light and the scope you are planning on using is light. Where the problem usually occurs is when a heavy scope is installed on a lightweight, heavy recoiling rifle. The scope tries to stay stationary while the lightweight rifle recoils under the immovable heavy object. Really don't see the purpose of the rails unless you are transferring scopes from one rifle to the next or need a 20 MOA rail to shoot long range. All the rails seem to do for me is make me crane my neck to see through the scope which is not ideal.

Year's ago I simply bought what I could afford and never had a problem with any of them. Today I usually buy what looks nice but doesn't cost a lot and still works for me. Ugliest set I ever had was a set of Tasco's many years ago. Since then I've got mostly Redfield, Weaver or Leupold. Got a set on My 25-06 that really sleek looking and work well but darn if I can remember who made them. Got them about 30yrs ago for around $20 and still working great today.

I like the Talley lightweight lows. One piece always worked better for me than the base and ring separately. I had the same scope on my old t3x lite and went with low rings.

Back