SD Elk, Sheep and Mt. Goat

warmer

Just a heads up for the South Dakota guys, the GFP has begun drawings for elk, sheep and goat tags. Good luck!

SD has an introduced population of Mountain Goats (well, kind of). I believe they offered 2 tags last year and they were the first in about a decade.

Some good sheep in SD. This one nearly made it. Taken just a couple days before the end of the season last year.

22836709417_3367405898_c.jpg

BINGO! Middle son and youngest son drew any elk tag in Unit 2! Looks like a fantastic October in the Black Hills.

Last edited:
I've seen a number of goats right around the four faces and some big rams up on the Needles Highway near there over the years!

BINGO! Middle son and youngest son drew any elk tag in Unit 2! Looks like a fantastic October in the Black Hills.

Congrats on your kids draws. I drew H3 bull tag myself. Let me know if need any info on unit 2 I know it a little from shed hunting and taking people cow hunting.
Good luck!

I drew a bull tag in H9. This unit has the least amount of public land so not as many people apply. Hopefully I can find elk in the right place at the right time! Headed out to Rapid City next weekend to start learning the area.

I drew a bull tag in H9. This unit has the least amount of public land so not as many people apply. Hopefully I can find elk in the right place at the right time! Headed out to Rapid City next weekend to start learning the area.

Congrats on the tag. I didn't even know there was elk in that part of the hills so needless to say I can't offer any wisdom for H9. I had to look it up as I have hunted 2,3,4, and live in 7. I was hopping to find some info on H3 as it can be a little tough to locate the bulls.
Good luck!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back