MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

SD Deer 2010

mtmiller

I got to SD a few days ago. When I get to this place, I know I am close to home.

DSC_3854.jpg

Season opened Saturday and I have seen a couple very nice young bucks with potential. Tuesday we watched this guy bed on a neighbor's place, but about the time we were ready to head out we saw a hunter working his way that direction. What the heck, let's watch the show. He ended up bumping the buck before he was even close and the buck was headed our direction. When he got out of sight, we ran with the cover of a ridge and then dropped the bipod. He popped out a couple seconds later and when he stopped to check his backtrail I squeezed the trigger.

9.jpg

Nice long tines.

13.jpg

Once again, I was hunting with a good friend from college and on his place. He is holding off and waiting to see if a monster pops up. This year another college buddy came out and had a great time. He shot his biggest buck a few days ago.

15.jpg

14.jpg

Deer is cut up in the freezer, tomorrow I will look for a buck in the Hills.

good hunting all..

Very nice WT's guys! Grats! Great pic's (as usual for MTMiller) esp the landscape pic of the old barn and range in the background.

Again, Grats on a great hunt!

Nice bucks how long did it that to draw a SD rifle tag I've heard it is very hard to draw? Bow tags are OTC i think.

Cool story from last night. We stopped by the neighbors place and he had a picture of two nice bucks locked up. One was a nice 5x6 w/ a 2 - 3" sticker off his G2 and the other 5x5 with a broken G2. These guys were locked up the day before season and tore through a couple fences while locked. Finally one guy got in and saw they were barely locked. He had a hammer and smacked the G2 with the sticker point and it released them, but broke off about 3 - 4" from that antler.

While looking at the pictures, my buddy pulled out his phone and he had picutes of both bucks from last month while he was archery hunting. Unmistakeable with the sticker on the one and the other one already had that broken G2 at that time.

Now the funny part. I had never seen the sticker buck, other than my buddies pics, but when he stepped out in front of me a couple days ago I was just about ready to shoot. He was over 400 yards, but was working his way to me. When he got to 300 yards I was about to take the shot when a bobcat came out and chased him away. Well sorta, more of watch cat pester deer and then watch deer push right back. Very cool to see. Eventually the sticker buck starts coming back, but then I finally notice part of his g2 is broken. I decide to not take the shot. Eventually a nice 4 point walks out, but only has one side. He walks right towards the sticker buck and "sticker" wants no part of it and heads out. Now that I know what happened to him a few days ago, I understand why he isn't acting too tough.

The same night my two buddies see other buck. He is in the creek only 50 yards from them and one guy wants to shoot him. My other buddy stops him because of the broken g2 (still a 5x5) and hopes he will be around next season. He mentioned to me later that the buck was acting very weird. He showed no signs of rutting and never even lifted his head as he sluggishly walked past.

After talking to the neighbor, he mentioned this buck plowed half the pasture with his nose in the dirt. When they were split apart the other one hauled ass out of there, but this one couldl only run sideways a few steps before falling down. They didn't think that he would make it. Well obviously he did, but I think he is done fighting for doe love for this year. Hopefully he makes it to next year.

Breaking "sticker" g2 saved his life twice.;)

Congrats Miller. Looks like your drive this time didn't include 10 feet of snow.

You're one sexy dude.... If I was single I'd want to have your baby :D :D

Cngrats Hombre'. Awesome pics and story as always !!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michelle419
Back