Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Scratch one off the bucket list

Walt lister

Having read about the trout fishing on the Colorado river below Lake Powell for years I decided to link up with high school buddy Dr Lee Wickstrom who was vacationing in Flagstaff and hire a guide and give it a go.

Lee's Ferry launch ramp with various tour boats/rafts getting ready to shove off
leesferry003.jpg

Our guide Kyle and the 19foot, 350 chevvy powered jet boat
leesferry005.jpg

Under way, he did stop and clean the windows
leesferry011.jpg

Truly spectacular country
leesferry009.jpg

leesferry013.jpg

leesferry008.jpg

leesferry010.jpg

leesferry018.jpg

The cicadas were just starting to hatch so we were using large local imitations on top

Dr Lee fighting a 15 inch rainbow
leesferry015.jpg

Lee is about 6 months after open heart surgery and other complications but was happy to show his fish
leesferry017.jpg

Unfortunately I had dropped and broke my camera about this time so I didn't get any more fish pics. Fishing wasn'r red hot but we landed a half/dozen from 14 to 18 inches and a half dozen or so 12 to 14 inches and lost several including one that might have been a little bigger but got under the boat and broke off.
Before I broke my camera we had taken a break and visited a rock art wall left by earlier visiters
leesferry022.jpg

leesferry019.jpg

It's thought that there are several feet more petroglyphs down below the soil level. Wind and water deposits may have covered them up. Something for future archaeologists to explore
leesferry021.jpg

Chuckwalla watched us
leesferry020.jpg

I want to do this again

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mtbirdandbiggamehunter
Back