Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Scouting Trip

land7601

I leave for my scouting trip on Monday and I have a couple of novice questions. This will be my first time scouting, what things should I avoid. By this I mean, should we be worried about our scent while in camp? Is grilling okay? Stupid things like that I am worried about and thought I would come looking for advice. Thank you much in advance!

-Alex

One of the biggest mistakes I see new guys make and experienced too now that I think about it.

Don't camp in the hunting area. I assume you'll be scouting where you plan to hunt, so scouting/hunting area is the same.

Thanks for the advice. We plan to camp off of the road on the scouting trip and then hike into areas we are hoping to camp during the season. We haven't been in the area before but after doing some research on the unit we plan to hike in about 2 miles from camp while hunting. Just wasn't sure the best course of action while we were on our scouting trip

For me scouting comes down to one of two categories. I'm either learning an area and the logistical challenges associated with the unit or I am scouting for a specific animal or "honey hole". That depends on when I have the time to scout and where my tag falls in the season. If you're scouting at a time when either the animals are not generally there that time of year (think migration route area but can only go in June for late October hunt) or you want to hunt the second week of the rifle season and pressure is going to move the animals, then it might be all logistics. I spend those trips finding access to glassing spots, getting familiar with camp sites, travel times from camp to trail head, locating water, hiking to learn difficulty of access and sometimes things like where I need to get gas along the highway. The point is to not spend time during season learning that type stuff. I am less worried about disrupting game because their behavior will change with or without me by the time I'm there to hunt. Now if I'm scouting before the season opener then I'd better already know the logistics and my goal is to find animals I plan to hunt. I like to be far away and glass them without them knowing I'm there. Basically hunting without a weapon. The more time scouting the more those categories become blended and the better you know the behavior of the animals all times of the year and conditions.

My advice for scouting a new area right now... First, don't impact another hunters season. Know what seasons are open and respect that above all else. Some other guy may have already done his work for his season and having you camp or hike through his hunt just is bad form on public land. Unless I'm scouting right before opener, I won't plan a trip after July depending on season. My second, test your gear like your on you hunt. Know and test your clothing, boots, trailer and everything possible. If it doesn't work scouting then you can make the required changes.

Good luck, share some pictures.

TahoeWestern thank you for the great advice, that is a huge help! Pretty much answered every question I had. I really appreciate the insight! Just getting prepared and wanted to make sure I don't make any amateur mistakes.

Back