Scope decision

David58

Drew an Ibex hunt, and my friends that have hunted them have told me I need to be a good shot up to 400yds for the hunt. I am sighted in at MPBR of about 270 yards - Ruger 77, 30-06, 180gr CoreLokt. Scope is a Simmons 3x9.

I see a significant difference when I shoot my wife's rifle, with a Leupold 3X9. The glass is much better.

I'm not a recreational long-range shooter, and would generally turn down a 400 yard shot and just get closer. But that choice is often not there with Ibex, since closer might not be possible due to terrain.

Any recommendations for "best bang for the buck" glass for my rifle? I don't want to take out a second mortgage, but need a bit better glass than I have (or think I do).

Thanks for the advice.

There are many good quality scopes to be had for your stated budget of $600.
All will be a major step up from your Simmons.
I would agree with contacting Schmalts also!

As for scopes, Leupold is hard to beat! Quality stuff!
If your not a Leupold fan, there are others, but again it's hard not to like the Leupold.

Your budget puts you in the Vortex Viper range. Good scopes also, but i think they "flare out" too easily.

I've been looking through some Crimson Trace scopes lately. Their Hardline Pro is within your budget. Really good glass, with options that i actually want.

Good luck, and post up what you chose!

Leupolds are hard to beat! I am not a user of them though, I don't care to spend a bunch on scopes. My 25-06 has a very old Bushnell banner on it that I wouldn't hesitate to use. I have several newer Redfield/Leupolds and like them very well. Recently got a Vortex 3-9x for a 243 and really like it. I don't believe you need to spend $600 to get a good scope, I simply believe that is a head game to many people like to play.

Like the way you have you 30-06 zeroed in. I too use MPBR to zero every thing in. Sound like your about 3" high at 100yds and shoot a max 4" high at mid range. All my rifles come out about 270yds also! Right at 4" low around MPBR! If I were to shoot at a game animal at 400yds, I won't, I'd get something like the Redfield or the Vortex 3-9x. Thing I really like about them is they both have finger turret's for adjusting the scope. I could figure out a trajectory well past 300 yds and simply dial it in in the field. Both of those scopes come in under $200!

Landed on the VX3HD 3.5X10 Leupold. Arrived in the mail today, thanks to Schmalts. Glad it got here before we left for vacation, they left the box on the sidewalk in front of our front courtyard.
Nice scope!!! Good luck on your hunt. Hope you kill one.

I dont think you can go wrong with that choice. I have a lot of different Leupolds scopes for specialized purposes but all my 5 or 6 all purpose deer rifles wear some form of VX3 3.5-10x40 scopes on them. I guess if I had to pick just one scope to put on everything it would be that one. They seem to spend most of their lives on 7x. But that is really do to where I hunt. second favorite would be a 2.5-8.

Landed on the VX3HD 3.5X10 Leupold. Arrived in the mail today, thanks to Schmalts. Glad it got here before we left for vacation, they left the box on the sidewalk in front of our front courtyard.
They normally get sent requiring a signature unless you declined insurance. Good choice BTW. I just recently got a VX3-HD 180623 4.5 - 14.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back