Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Satellite phone rental?? Need Advice

thegamegtr

I will be hunting in December 3 hours from cell service (without snow). I want a way to check in every night. Do any of you have any experience and/or advice on a satellite phone to rent?

I rented an Iridium from Mobal last year. It wasn't perfect, but good, and the company was easy to deal with. Read the fine print on early returns and rental extensions.

The main trouble I had was brief windows of available service. I was in a high, fairly open valley but evidently the mountains still reduced how long the satellite was in range.

Take a look at the PLB thread on here. I use the DeLorme InReach and get messages to my wife twice a day. I was all over a good chunk of south central idaho this fall and never failed to get a message through.

We used the DeLorme InReach, SE?, (yellow and black one) but my friend bought the unit. It worked well, took 10 minutes to get a signal sometimes, and we could text back and forth or just send a text each evening that all was well so that we didn't burn too many messages with chit chat. We didn't see anyone that rented them. If a rental is all you need we looked into renting a sat. phone from our cell phone provider, Verizon. I think it would have been around $80 for the week and they mailed it to you the day before you leave and you mail it back to them when you return home.

I rented a phone one time. I never used the phone. I was in Wyoming alone and afraid of a rattlesnake bite when I was alone way out in the country.

I rented from www.explorersatellite.com. They advertise in Huntin' Fool. Since I never used the phone I can NOT comment on the connection. The people were very nice to deal with. I stated that I would have to mail the phone back a few days late and they stated "that's OK". No extra charge. I can not remember the exact charges, however, I believe it was like $99 for a week.

good luck to all
the dog

Thank You!! So it would work, but it might take some time to aquire a satellite?
Yeah. I remember just setting the phone on a table and watching for the signal strength meter to go up, then I'd make a call quick. It wasn't consistent though. Sometimes I had plenty of time to talk, other times the signal would disappear before I could even punch in the numbers to call.

Try Blue Cosmos out of Seattle. You can fill out the app online, super easy. Used them for the last few years, they do what they say. We use the Iridium. When hunting in places with no service I will gladly pay a $100 for a week, especially splitting it a few ways.

I also use the DeLorme InReach SE. I have yet to have an issue with the service or signal. I had a couple of messages take a few minutes to go through in heavy cloud cover and snow, but the messages always ended up going through and I always got the return messages from whoever messaged me. The device is a great piece of mind for my wife when I hunt outside of cell coverage. It also came in handy on long sits not seeing anything and having something to do other than games on my phone. It was also good for me to keep in touch with my sons. I call them every night to check in with them and see how their day was, and with this device I was at least able to text them. On my elk hunt in September my wife was able to reach me to let me know she was very sick as well. There are seasonal plans and different level plans for what you may need. I use mine year round since I do a lot of cross country driving where I'm in a lot of areas with no cell coverage. Plus, for the social media geeks like me, with the SE you can post to Face Book and Twitter, you just can't see the replies to your posts.

Take a look at the PLB thread on here. I use the DeLorme InReach and get messages to my wife twice a day. I was all over a good chunk of south central idaho this fall and never failed to get a message through.

I couldn't find that PLB thread. I feel like a dork, but any advice on how to find it would be great. Thanks!!

After all the help and research, I'm leaning towards the DeLorme inReach! The info and past threads were very helpful. Thanks to everyone!!!

I bought an inReach earlier this week, mainly because that's what pointer has.;):D

I hope he doesn't mind getting a preset message that he better show up quick to join in the fun of packing large animals...

I like the one I have. I just wish the SE version was available when I got mine. I think I would like it better than the one I have. Just remember the preset messages are the free ones! Any you type or even the 'quick messages' can cost depending on your plan.

WT- I have no problem getting that message as long as you don't mind waiting the 2.5 days it'd take me to drive there... :D

I used my inReach for the first time in the great outdoors today after buying it earlier in the week. I went with the Recreation Plan for this first month but also did the Freedom Plan so I can inactivate the account when not needed (assuming I remember). I set the tracking to send a point every hour and as far as I know it did, whether the unit was in my pack or in the vehicle. I also sent two preset messages and both of those went through fine (I didn't kill anything so you didn't get one pointer). Will use it more next week.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back