Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

SpaceX/Starlink To Topple All Backcountry Satellite Services

Sytes

Soon all we'll need during our backcountry escapades is our "do everything" phones.
Say goodbye Garmin/Zoleo/Spot, et al....

T-Mobile is the provider Elon has selected to promote the upcoming advanced phone future.

Hint: Stock ticker TMUS . If/when FCC approves, possible valuable investment opportunity now.

"Among other results, the satellites have been able to communicate with multiple models of unmodified Samsung, Apple, and Google devices using (T-Mobile’s) PCS G Block spectrum, including in urban and rural areas, indoors and outdoors, and in clear sky and under tree cover,” the company says"

OnX/GoHunt, videos, photos, emergency service, yadda, yadda, yadda...

I just talked with a fella the other day who was telling me he can now text without service on the newest version of iPhone utilizing satellites.
That was news to me.

Last edited:
I just talked with a fella the other day who was telling me he can now text without service on the newest version of iPhone utilizing satellites.
That's interesting. I viewed Apple website directly. It notes the following:

• Check your network connection. To send a message as iMessage or MMS, you need a cellular data or Wi-Fi connection. To send an SMS message, you need cellular network connection. If you turn on Wi-Fi Calling, you can send SMS messages over Wi-Fi.

Once Starlink goes active for texting, sometime in 2024 according to their website, and calling going active in 2025, it may disrupt this market. Will depend upon coverage and pricing. I believe only their new satellites have this capability but more are being launch regularly. Competition is a good thing.

That's interesting. I viewed Apple website directly. It notes the following:

• Check your network connection. To send a message as iMessage or MMS, you need a cellular data or Wi-Fi connection. To send an SMS message, you need cellular network connection. If you turn on Wi-Fi Calling, you can send SMS messages over Wi-Fi.
This is from Apples website regarding the iPhone 15.

In an emergency,​

iPhone has your back.​

Introducing Roadside​

Assistance via satellite.​

If your car breaks down and you’re off the beaten path without cell service or Wi‑Fi, you can still use iPhone to get help.
First, start a new text to Roadside Assistance and follow the easy onscreen steps to see how to connect — and stay connected — to a satellite. Then tap to answer a few key questions, like what model of car you have and what kind of help you need.
Once you reply, you’ll be connected with a AAA roadside assistance provider, who can send someone with the right equipment to help get you moving again. Don’t have a membership? No worries. It all works, even if you’re not a member.

Emergency SOS​

via satellite.​

If you’ve tried calling 911 but don’t have cell service or Wi‑Fi, you can use iPhone to text emergency services over satellite.14
To save time, iPhone front-loads important questions to assess your situation. Just tap to respond. Then iPhone will show you where to point your phone to stay connected and avoid obstructions like mountains.
Remember, it can take from 15 seconds to more than a minute to get through depending on conditions.

Referencing my early convo with the fella, we were talking about PLB’s and rescues so this is what he was referring too.

I wonder how many users know that feature exists.

I wonder how much volume would be pushed to Star Link and if it could handle it? 17mps isn’t great. I would guess you could probably get a text out but probably aren’t doing pictures before the satellite passes.

This is from Apples website regarding the iPhone 15.

In an emergency,​

iPhone has your back.​

Introducing Roadside​

Assistance via satellite.​

If your car breaks down and you’re off the beaten path without cell service or Wi‑Fi, you can still use iPhone to get help.
First, start a new text to Roadside Assistance and follow the easy onscreen steps to see how to connect — and stay connected — to a satellite. Then tap to answer a few key questions, like what model of car you have and what kind of help you need.
Once you reply, you’ll be connected with a AAA roadside assistance provider, who can send someone with the right equipment to help get you moving again. Don’t have a membership? No worries. It all works, even if you’re not a member.

Emergency SOS​

via satellite.​

If you’ve tried calling 911 but don’t have cell service or Wi‑Fi, you can use iPhone to text emergency services over satellite.14
To save time, iPhone front-loads important questions to assess your situation. Just tap to respond. Then iPhone will show you where to point your phone to stay connected and avoid obstructions like mountains.
Remember, it can take from 15 seconds to more than a minute to get through depending on conditions.

Referencing my early convo with the fella, we were talking about PLB’s and rescues so this is what he was referring too.

I wonder how many users know that feature exists.

Good info. Leave it to Apple.
The core difference between Starlink and Apple is the full capability to utilize a phone in the backcountry.
Reason Apple is unable to operate full functions, SpaceX/Starlink has deployed hundreds of low level satellites that keep a constant connection as one passes another has already picked up and continued the service.
Apple pays for a high orbit satellite service to enable the feature listed above.

To some... The idea feels as an inability to escape the common day. I say B.S. flip it to airplane mode and presto. You need it, you have it.

MRS really likes my paid for iPhone 6s. Just saying.
Not giving up my inReach any time soon. inReach charge lasts days, cell phones in the backcountry last hours.
I always save one battery pack for the inReach in case I need to recharge it. All my others are for phones.

To some... The idea feels as an inability to escape the common day. I say B.S. flip it to airplane mode and presto. You need it, you have it.
THIS.

I was never happier than when I learned my Verizon work iPhone was useless on POW last year.

2025 would be fine for me to start using my cell only for everything. Until then the inreach mini works fine. Bring a backup battery as usual, or on longer trips a solar charger. That tech is coming along nicely too. Maybe they can also double battery life by then too.

Heard about this. Or something similar.
Still waiting for my new Starlink system. Since xmas...the original was great,until it died. We have a satellite overhead.

The verizon cell worked good thru starlink,when it worked.

My Starlink has been flawless. mtmuley
Same. We switched from Century Link (worst ever) last October. Blows century link speeds away by a long shot. Well worth the little extra cost per month.

Same. We switched from Century Link (worst ever) last October. Blows century link speeds away by a long shot. Well worth the little extra cost per month.
CenturyLink is a gutless wonder of misuse rural funding provided them.
We we're 15 miles north of downtown Whitefish. Techs told me C-link will not replace three of the five whatchamacallits. Another thread had my C-link service #'s when we received our Starlink. WORLD of a difference!

Post in thread 'Satellite Internet?' https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/satellite-internet.295874/post-3181728

Starlinks awesome. Had it for 3 years now.

Ironically - was really worried about intermittent service. Has been very reliable reltative to century link.

Dont remember the last time i had a significant outage.

My Starlink has been flawless. mtmuley
Mine was for a year and a half, then went out during Dec. completely.
Waiting for low end business model. Hope it dosen't take a year to get here, like the original model.

In 5yrs you will only use terrestrial cell networks in high density metro locations and the suburbs...The "pops" are not there for the big 3 to invest in rural markets especially with low propagation of the 5g frequencies. Elon knows what he is doing, partner with the smallest network and then you have the upper hand negotiating with ATT and VzW when, not if, they come to the table.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back